Links vanishing in Windows 7

Smiley89

I've experienced a very strange issue with Windows 7, both on build 7000 x64 and 7048 x64.

This doesn't happen at first installation, but after some days of use.

The problem is, after a reboot, all the links vanished, both in Start Menu and Desktop. :blink: Only links related to Windows and Windows' components don't disappear.

The strangest thing is, all the program folders in start menu are still present, but they're all empty. :}

bug1.th.png

Apps pinned to the taskbar are still present too but they don't start (Windows asks me to unpin them from the taskbar since it can't find them).

I can only start applications by going to "Program Files (x86)" folder and manually rebuild the links.

Am I the only one who is experiencing the same issue?

Can this be related to some software I use?

:hello:

Edited by Smiley89

I've built over 100 Win7 machines with various builds, about 50/50 split between physical and VM hosts, and I've never seen it. I'd say it's very likely a software issue - what do you install on every build you do, specifically? Anything with filter drivers or explorer hooks?

Almost everything I installed on build 7048 was on build 7000 too. Here's the list:

apps.th.png

For filter drivers, sorry but I don't even know what they are :blushing: but, I remember that vLite uses a WIM filter driver. And the last apps I've installed are nLite 1.4.9.1 and booogy's WMP11 Slipstreamer 1.4i: can they be causing this issue? I haven't even used them yet, I only set up a nLite session for a XP x64 ISO but I didn't apply any setting except slipstreaming SP2.

Well, that'd be the first thing I'd check - does a clean build repro? If it does, there are a few things you could do, including setting one of the files read-only and remove any NTFS permissions to any account but your own and run procmon with a filter on one to see who tries to access it, although that's a bit drastic, it'd work.

Since you have problems with both links and pinned items, I'd think testing a *clean* build is a good idea, followed by getting a bit more drastic. If it doesn't repro on a clean build over time, start adding apps until it does. Also, if you use this build in a VM, does it repro in a VM as well?

@ dlsolo, I didn't touch the Services page. Default configuration is fine for me (at the moment).

@cluberti, I installed the system directly to my PC (no VM). If I have to make a clean install to test, I prefer to wait for the official RC. I don't have enough time to reinstall at the moment, and I wanted to try a newer build.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I recover my old post...

I recently updated to build 7100 (RC), and yesterday I reinstalled nLite to make an updated XP CD. I integrated two update packs on an XP image with SP3 already slipstreamed, then built the ISO, and then rebooted. Links are still there.

Last time, I did a different thing: I integrated SP3 on an SP2 XP CD. Maybe the problem is not caused by nLite, but by the SP3 installer.

I will test it as soon as I can. Maybe they fixed the bug. :unsure: