need to know how to

starcraftmaster

ok i use to have a recovey partition but some thing must have delete it (probloy norton ghost)

so i cant reformat and install windows me

but i notice in

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

their seems to be a setup for windows me in there

can i go in dos and format my C: drive and then type in the dos thing C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\setup.exe and reformat and install??

and if i do that can i put all my setupfiles for programs on D: drive (slave) so once window me is instal i can start installing drivers and programs? or should i burn them to a cd?

You'll never regret leaving yourself a life boat ....burn them to a CD .....the Windows ME boot floppy gives you the option of booting with CD rom support....

Murphy's law always annoyed me, but sometimes the best offense is a good defense

Jake

if you format c: then the files will get wiped (the nature of a format)

DO NOT FORMAT. Boot computer from ME startup disk and start setup like you suggested.. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\setup.exe

if that dont work...

I don't know if it will work as it's been a very long time since I used ME, but the best option would be to burn what you think are the ME setup files on to CD, don't forget you will need to add the boot information though, there are guides on how to do that. To be able to burn files to CD without wiping the files to begin with you'll either need to install the drive as a slave in another PC or use a live boot disk with CD recording support.

if you have a certificate of authenticy on the side of your computer, the easiest method would be to download a copy of the ME installation CD, but make sure you use your own serial during install.. as far as I know it's the serial which makes the install legitimate, not the disk.

Edited by possy_99

"Helpful hints from your Cousin Earny" (in addition/an addendum to possy_99) -

1 - Definitely back up to wherever you want all of your important/want-to-keep files to wherever you want to

2 - Definitely burn (for safety) you Options/Cabs (kinda confused on this, since WinME is usually in the Options/Install folder)

3 - Even safer, if you can Ghost (or whatever) the entire C-drive (total insurance)

4 - And most significant - Boot to a Win98/WinME Floppy, rename the Windows/Win.com to anything (eg win.ori ) then CD (Change Directory) to the Install Files Folder (CABS, INSTALL, whatever), and run SETUP (NOT the OEMSETUP).

(and ya need that key!)

That last particular "trick" allows reinstall (regardless of the variation, e.g. OEM, FULL, Upgrade, etc.) "over top of" (kind of like XP's way). At least it works for Win9x, so "should" work for WinME.

Disclaimer - I haven't tried this on ME, only 98SE, but scattered througth the WWW is the same "tip". Also be aware tha many drivers may or may not be "reloaded" ("can't find the driver" due to original install method) and an MSBATCH.INF file may/may not impact the "reinstall".

Any help here?

"Helpful hints from your Cousin Earny" (in addition/an addendum to possy_99) -

1 - Definitely back up to wherever you want all of your important/want-to-keep files to wherever you want to

2 - Definitely burn (for safety) you Options/Cabs (kinda confused on this, since WinME is usually in the Options/Install folder)

3 - Even safer, if you can Ghost (or whatever) the entire C-drive (total insurance)

4 - And most significant - Boot to a Win98/WinME Floppy, rename the Windows/Win.com to anything (eg win.ori ) then CD (Change Directory) to the Install Files Folder (CABS, INSTALL, whatever), and run SETUP (NOT the OEMSETUP).

(and ya need that key!)

That last particular "trick" allows reinstall (regardless of the variation, e.g. OEM, FULL, Upgrade, etc.) "over top of" (kind of like XP's way). At least it works for Win9x, so "should" work for WinME.

Disclaimer - I haven't tried this on ME, only 98SE, but scattered througth the WWW is the same "tip". Also be aware tha many drivers may or may not be "reloaded" ("can't find the driver" due to original install method) and an MSBATCH.INF file may/may not impact the "reinstall".

Any help here?

so will it get rid of windows then install or just install windows all over the ready windows on the C: drive

because i dont want to do a repair install i just want to get rid of windows and reinstall it so all the clutter and errors go away so not a repair install because that makes more errors lol most of the time

and whats oemsetup do? is that the packard bell reinstall ???

OK... complete list of the WIN9x folder (from CD) -

BASE2.CAB
CATALOG.CAB
cleanhd.txt
deltemp.com
dossetup.bin
DRIVER5.CAB
DRIVER6.CAB
DRIVER7.CAB
extract.exe
format.com
intl.txt
mini.cab
NET3.CAB
NET4.CAB
oemsetup.bin
oemsetup.exe
PRECOPY1.CAB
save32.com
scandisk.exe
scandisk.pif
scanprog.exe
scanreg.exe
setup.exe
setup.txt
setup0.wav
smartdrv.exe
suback.bin
suback16.bin
suhelper.bin
w9xsetup.bin
wb16off.exe
WIN_10.CAB
WIN_11.CAB
WIN_12.CAB
WIN_13.CAB
WIN_14.CAB
WIN_15.CAB
WIN_16.CAB
WIN_17.CAB
WIN_18.CAB
WIN_19.CAB
WIN_20.CAB
WIN_21.CAB
WIN_22.CAB
WIN_8.CAB
WIN_9.CAB
WIN_OL.CAB
win1024.bin
win640.bin
win800.bin
winme.wmv
xmsmmgr.exe

On the CD, there's an additional folder/subfolders for OLS (On-Line-"Stuff") that is only "junk" for installing AT&T and AOL Dial-Up. I haven't included any of the other CD folders since they're irrelevant. Again (AFAICR), usually with a Clean Install of WinME, all files are copied to OPTIONS/INSTALL folder (perhaps this was the OEM version CD). Subsequently, any/some "fixes" (etc.) would put the "new" files into the OPTIONS/CABS folder (this is the Win95/98 way, including where the SysPrep placed the Install files). Be wary of any files in this folder that have any date other than 6-8-2000 (June 8, 2000) as this is the date for all of the WinME files. In addition, OEM's (and driver install software) would place the Drivers in the Install folder; this usually corresponded with an MSBATCH.INF file (for the OEM install). OEMSETUP is only (usually) used for the OEM install to an un-partitioned HDD. OEMSETUP partitions the HDD, then "calls" SETUP to install.

All of the above is pretty much the same for all 9x/ME. Only certain files/CAB-names "changed". I want to point out that if a PC originally came with (e.g.) Win98/98SE preinstalled (OEM) that the Folder would be (again) OPTIONS/CABS and an Upgrade to ME (AFAICR) would "over-write" the originals (I could definitely be wrong about that).

No matter which way you slice it, you need the above-listed files (maybe not the OEMxxx files or the MSBATCH.INF). You also need to have an Emergency Boot Disk handy for your reinstall.

The procedure for a Clean Install can be found nearly anywhere on the internet or even her on MSFN. In your case, you will want to just ensure your Install Files are elsewere (including any drivers), boot to the EBD, Format the C: Drive, CD (Change Directory) to the Install Folder (where the Files listed are), and run SETUP. All the rest should be taken care of.

Where your Key is (via RegEdit) -

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion

Where the Install+Type was from (via RegEdit) -

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Setup

Kinda the same info you get from System Information. ;)

Here Ponch and I explained to Redhatcc re-Win95 Install from HDD

HTH (honest, it's not that hard, just back everything up and get yer Install Key)

My "differences" check (for Win98SE and applies to WinME as well) -

Absent in Upgrade:

OEMSETUP.BIN

FORMAT.COM

OEMSETUP.EXE

It appears that you have an Upgrade Version. The Scandisk.pif can be recreated. If you need the info on each portion of it, I can give it to you. If a Supervisor or Moderator will permit it, I'll just upload it (no proprietary info there; right/wrong?).

So... it looks like you may need a previous version.

additional personal notes (may help determining exactly what you have)

.\win9x\format.com (Not on UPGRADE; NOTE: format.com is in .\win9x\base2.cab\ebd.cab)
.\win9x\oemsetup.bin (Not on UPGRADE)
.\win9x\oemsetup.exe (Not on UPGRADE)
.\win9x\precopy1.cab (see below - contents differences)
setupc.inf (!!!! ADDITIONAL DIFFS !!!!)

[Data]
CCP=0 (in OEM)

setuppp.inf (different/same time)

[data]
ProductType=2 (Upgrade/Step-Up) Line 422
UPI=79469-XXX-XXXXXXX (Upgrade/Step-Up) Line 423

setupx.dll (different/same time)

Hex Offset 000A7B4B - 33 (Upgrade)
Hex Offset 000A7B55 - 32 (Upgrade)
-or- Hex Offset 000A7B46 - (x'05')52783(x'09')C83-00002 (Upgrade)

Hex Offset 000A7B69 - 30 (Upgrade)
Hex Offset 000A7B6A - 32 (Upgrade)
-or- Hex Offset 000A7B68 - 102 (Upgrade)

suwin.exe (different/same time)

Hex Offset 0006B4F8 - 30 (Upgrade)
Hex Offset 0006B4F9 - 32 (Upgrade)
-or- Hex Offset 0006B4F7 - 102 (Upgrade)

.\win9x\w9xsetup.bin (different/same time)

Hex Offset 000223C2 - 30 (Upgrade)
Hex Offset 000223C3 - 32 (Upgrade)
-or- Hex Offset 000223C1 - 102 (Upgrade)
***** there are other differences between OEM and others...
** Note: ** x'30'=0 / x'31'=1 / (etc.)

The above notes are not exactly complete but (mostly) accurate for your purposes. I have these because I sometimes repair other folks' PC's and need them for renstalls, etc.

Yes, you can put it on the D-drive and install from there. Remember that EBD! Normally, the EBD.CAB is not expanded for an Install Floppy (slightly different). I can give you the contents (file list) of one and the actual modifications you may need to the CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT (if you actually need it). Mostly, all you need is

1 - bootable floppy (MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, COMMAND.COM)

2 - since not from cd, SMARTDRV is unnecessary

3 - access to FORMAT.COM (put on D-drive folder; it's in the EBD.CAB also)

4 - boot, format C, ChangeDir to the D-drive-folder, run SETUP and Away You Go!

- - note: be absolutely sure you're C-drive is the original C-drive!!! (FDISK Display and check for Active and the original size, then Exit)

extra note - AFAICR, the majority of the CD-bootable (Retail) has nearly identical files as the Win98SE Bootable, and the Floppy Boot is nearly identical between them (no FINDCD hence AUTOEXEC and CONFIG is slightly different).

HTH

edit -

Moderators/Supervisors - please check the WWW; most (if not all) of this info is already out there. I just compiled this for purposes of verification of what the "customer" actually had, so hopefully this won't be construed as a violation. If so, feel free (as you will) to edit/remove it.

Edited by submix8c

• 3 weeks later...

just to let ya know

i try installing it and it wouldent work and gave me a error messerge

so i type the messerge in google and found out it needed a file named setver.exe

so i searched my computer for the file and found in system folder

so i that file in the cabs folder of the install

and started the install from dos on a spare hard drive i had and it install fine so i will be installing it on the computer i want to install it on soon :D