Need XP Install Help

Jeff7577

I am trying to install XP onto my laptop that came with Vista. I have slipstreamed SP3 and my SATA drivers and it works, but during the install it asks me to insert an original disc to verify I can install. Here is my problem, the drive on my laptop is currently borked. It reads/writes DVD's fine but won't do anything with CD's so I can't stick my original XP CD to complete it. Is there anyway I can get around this so I can continue installing? An option in nLite I am missing perhaps? Any info would be appreciated as I am planning on sending my Laptop in under warrenty before its out, but I can't do it for a couple months because this is currently my only computer and I won't have a desktop to use for a bit longer. Thanks for any help.

Update: wooops. I just re-read your post and realized the below probably won't help :)

How are you getting the computer to start the installation to even ask for the disc?

Perhaps you can run WINNT32 (i think that's what it's called).

It reads/writes DVD's fine but won't do anything with CD's so I can't stick my original XP CD to complete it. Is there anyway I can get around this so I can continue installing?

Take a look at the XPCREATE project.

It hasn't had much activity, but it'll have two COMMAND LINE utilities you'll need.

It has a DVDBURN executable that'll burn a bootable ISO to a DVD.

It also includes a MAKEISO command that takes a cd boot sector file and the Windows install files and makes an ISO that the dvd burning command line can use.

NOTES:

Both are command line programs. I'm not sure of the exact names.

The ISOs made by the iso maker don't seem to be recognized or boot properly unless they are burned by the DVD burning util included with the project.

The cd boot sector file is just an extract from a normal OEM XP install CD.

Since your drive won't read CDs, you might have to search the net for that boot sector.

You might want to splurge on DVD RWs until you get the install working properly.

If this is your only computer you have access to, I hope you have a spare hard drive to test your installer with.

If not, at least get a virtual machine program (there are decent freebies from the net). They boot the fake computer from an ISO file.

Also you might want to include the network drivers on the ISO image so you can download the rest of your drivers (unless of course you want to be brave and try DriverPacks.net)

Edited by JoeMSFN

Jeff7577, post the label of your CD and, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

Jeff7577, post the label of your CD and, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

I have labeled both WindowsXP which is the default nLite name and the name of the original XP CD. I have attached the Last Session.ini

Last_Session.ini

Jeff7577, please look in the SETUPP.ini file (using notepad) and post what the Pid is. Since you started with such an old copy of XP, with probably no SPs, did you add more than one SP? If so, that may well be your problem. You should only integrate the latest SP you want. Enjoy, John.

Jeff7577, please look in the SETUPP.ini file (using notepad) and post what the Pid is. Since you started with such an old copy of XP, with probably no SPs, did you add more than one SP? If so, that may well be your problem. You should only integrate the latest SP you want. Enjoy, John.

The PID is 55276000. My original copy of XP is labeled as SP1 in nLite and I only downloaded and integrated SP3.

Jeff7577, Google shows 55276000 to be an upgrade Pid. I seem to remember some discussion here some time ago about putting both the OS you are upgrading from and the upgrade OS in the same folder and running nLite and not having to stop like you are doing. Please do a search here and see what you can find. Perhaps someone who has done this or may remember better than I will respond. Please let us hear what you learn. Enjoy, John.

Jeff7577, Google shows 55276000 to be an upgrade Pid. I seem to remember some discussion here some time ago about putting both the OS you are upgrading from and the upgrade OS in the same folder and running nLite and not having to stop like you are doing. Please do a search here and see what you can find. Perhaps someone who has done this or may remember better than I will respond. Please let us hear what you learn. Enjoy, John.

Yep, I used the info here http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=722450 and it worked fine. Thanks for all the help!