Install IME layout after XP Installation

BdN3504

I have used nlite to create a custom winxpsp3 install and have accidentally removed the "turkish F" keyboard layout (although i double-checked it was not to be deleted :realmad: ). Now i don't know how to add support for this layout. all i have found on the microsoft site is this, but "turkish F" is not available as an option in the regional settings keyboard layout sub menu, so that's no help. i don't know if there is somehow a file i could add for the support,or if there is no chance but to reinstall (which would be a shame because i have already configured everything to work JUST fine).

Edited by BdN3504

BdN3504, I think from others experiences, your only option is to start with a fresh source and run nLite again - this time not removing the language. Please attach (not paste) your current Last Session.ini. Good luck, John.

BdN3504, I see that you have removed both Turkish F and Q. I am afraid the only way to get them back is to run nLite again using a fresh source. You can use your Last Session.ini and when in Remove Components, uncheck Turkish F and make any other changes you like. Enjoy, John.

• 2 months later...

yes, it is possible to fix this after an nlite'd installation.

I found this from an eePC forum from JoseCastro.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=575849

Hi everyone,

I had a problem with my keyboard not accepting accents(for portuguese in my case) because I forgot to allow the drivers to be installed on my NLite config. Well, they didn´t apear on the Regional and Language Options. I really didn´t want to go thru all the installation process again, so I did some searches, but none solved my problem. I eventually found out what files and registers were missing.

ATTENTION:

This involves modifing the windows registers, if you don´t know what you´re doing, know that it may break your Windows. You´ve been warned!

This fix only applies to XP Nlite installations where you didn´t install the drivers for the keyboard layouts.(like old dumb me)

If you did install, the layouts should be avalible in the "Control Panel" -> "Regional and Language Options" -> "languages" tab -> "details..." button -> "add" button.

Go to a computer with a plain XP install and do as follows:

The Keyboard Layout DLLs are located in: "Rootdrive":\"WindowsDir"\system32\

All the KBD*.DLL (KBDBR.DLL in my case) are the files you´re looking for. Copy all of them to a temporary directory.

Now, open the register (regedit.exe) and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\"

Find the "Keyboard Layout" and "Keyboard Layouts" folders in there. Left click and export each of them to the same dir you save the DLLs to.

These are the registers for the keyboard layouts windows use to populate the Regional Settings in the Control Pannel. If you open on notepad the .reg files on you´ve saved, they should look like those:

(note that i didn´t paste the complete files... it would take A LOT of space.)

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layout]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layout\DosKeybCodes]

"00000402"="bg"

"00000404"="ch"

"00000405"="cz"

"00000406"="dk"

"00000407"="gr"

and

Code:

indows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000402]

"Layout Text"="Bulgarian"

"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5053"

"Layout File"="KBDBU.DLL"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000405]

"Layout Text"="Czech"

"Layout Display Name"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\input.dll,-5031"

"Layout File"="KBDCZ.DLL"

Now that you have both the .REG and KBD*.DLL files, copy them to a folder in your EEE PC.

Move the DLL files to the same folder you´ve copied them from in you plain XP PC.

"your eeepc Rootdrive":\"WindowsDir"\system32\

And "execute" the .REG files. Windows shall ask you if you really want to do this, go for Yes.

Reboot you Eee PC and the new layouts should be in the:

"Control Panel" -> "Regional and Language Options" -> "languages" tab -> "details..." button -> "add" button

Happy writing!