sata /scsi/ txt.setup.oem arrrgh

novice tinkerer

Due to virus i reformatted but cant install xp on sata drive. My OS is 98 1st edition+ME then XP UPgrade +SP2&3 on top of that so its a right endurance. So i always kept a norton ghost backup. about 2 yr ago my E-machines MOBO died so i got a PCCHIPS 745 M860. Later i bought a seagate Barracuda 7200.10 sata i cloned the old HDD over and everthing was fine. So a few weks ago I got infected and couldnt get back up and running again on my sata and i didnt have old IDE HDD. I resorted to getting a copy of Linux Mint which got me up and running so thers no hardware problem at all. My problem seems to be getting xp and the bios to recognise my sata during installation. ive read all about txt.setup.oem and cant get my head around it all but i'm well prepared to have a go, ive had error messages about file causing exception at d:/ blah code (018). i've tried slipstreaming with nlite but a bit unsure if im doing it right. ive clicked on properties on scsi and sata drive and copied these drivers to floppy but need to know how to direct windows to them. the things i dont understand are do i need MOBO drivers installed during F6 or is it Seagate drivers. is it raid drivers/scsi or sata drivers. does the xp F6 screen mean only floppy when it refers to A:/ drive or can it be d:/... If i copied the CD txt.setup oem file up to this page could someone tell me how to edit it. please help as this borrowed HD goes back to its lender on monday and I may have to resort to Linux or a 8G hardrive

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name CRAIG-GHN4KOX0V

System Manufacturer PCCHIPS

System Model M860

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1599 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080011, 04/11/2004

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States ?????????/

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name CRAIG-GHN4KOX0V\craig phillips

Time Zone GMT Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 860.79 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 3.35 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Hi novice tinkerer, welcome to the forums.

You don't need a driver for your SATA Hard disk however, you need one for your VIA chipset to tell windows setup how to use the SATA controller. Without the disk Setup will not "see" the Hard disk at all.

This is by the way no hardware fault so I'm moving this topic to the XP section, you will get more replies on this topic over there...

@Mod

Please move Topic to: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=88

@Topic

I unpacked the Driver and build (with "VirtualFloppyDrive") an Image of the Disc you need for F6.

Because this is the correct Driver to integrate with nLite, here it is: http://www.file-upload.net/download-148721...XP_X86.rar.html

Don`t use F6 anymore, if you have integrated the Driver with nLite.

You said you got an Update-XPCD, which needs Win98 preinstalled.

There`s no need to install Win98 first, just change CD when you are asked for.

Point to I386-Folder, done. Then change back CD and go on with XP-Setup.

Edit: While I was writing Topic was moved, THX. First suggestion outdated (but now it`s not moved to the Drivers-Forum...)

Edited by g-force