Brightness in Power Options missing

Tripredacus

My sister has a strange issue with her notebook. It is a Dell Studio 1535 that came with Vista Home Premium installed. When it is plugged in, the screen is dim, and when it is on battery, the screen is (normal) bright. I went into the power options where you can modify the power scheme, but there is no option for screen brightness. I've looked online and found tutorials to tell you exactly where it is, and with screenshots, but this option is not present.

I did also find information about some OEM's own software may control certain configs and this would make some things not appear in normal CPLs. I was not able to find any Dell or Power related software installed on the computer, so I can't say that is the case with this one. I had temporary resolved the issue by changing the brightness with the keyboard, while on power and on battery. It seemed to remember these settings and haven't had a problem until today. Now it is doing what it did before.

Is there any ideas about how to set the brightness levels in Windows, or why the option doesn't appear?