Home Network

rjjaxx

Hello

I don't use forums much but I am at my witts end! I have a HP Desktop with Windows XP home on it. I have a Epson NX300 attached to my Desktop. A Belkin wireless router G. I purchased a Acer Laptop and was setting up my Network. I have everything working except my printer. I can share files and such but when it comes to printing I can not get the Laptop to print. I know all you have to do is share it out NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I did all that I set up the permissions I took off the printer and re-installed it. The error I get is that "I can not connect to printer" I hit add printer and it sees it but when I go to add it, it will not add. If I connect the printer to the laptop if prints. I tried several ideas from online help but to no avail........Does anyone have a fix action. I understand it hard to fix something when you are not there. Any help would be appreciated. Like I said I tried all the obvious stuff. I am not a computer Geru !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

RJ

Which OS you are running on the Acer Laptop?

If not XP, take a look when yoe share the printer.

You are asked there, if you want to install driver for other OS.

Maybe i´m a little confused. If you have connected the printer to your Desktop-PC

and just share it from there, I don`t call this a "Network Printer", it`s just a shared device.

Edited by g-force

Maybe i´m a little confused. If you have connected the printer to your Desktop-PC

and just share it from there, I don`t call this a "Network Printer", it`s just a shared device.

When you install a shared printer the option you want from the printer wizard is "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer"

if you open my computer on the Acer and in the address bar type \\<SharedDesktop> replacing <sharedDesktop> with the computer name or IP address of the HP desktop what does it show as the available shares?

It should any shared folders and shared printers. If your printer is there right click on it ans select connect. it should install it to your machine.

If you have Vista on you laptop I believe you may need to change the NTLM settings to do this. I recall an issue with connecting to shared xp printers but don't remember the issue or fix at the moment, I have the notes on it a t work and if the above doesn't work I can post them tomorrow.

Here's what worked for me.

If you have turned it off turn UAC back on.

If you have any, delete the previously attempted installs of the epson printer on the laptop.

Download and install the latest Epson drivers both machines.

Open Printers control panel on the laptop

Press Alt to see the File Menu

Select 'Run as Administrator' -> 'Add printer from the File menu'

Select 'Add a local printer'

Select 'Create a New Port'

Select 'Local Port' from drop down

Click Next

Enter the share path to the printer i.e. \\HPDesktop\EpsonPrinter

Click OK

Select the new driver you installed and finish as usual.

hello

Tried all---------------still can not get to work I----I am taking a break this has gotten me P*&^% off. everyone talkes about how theirs is working and not having any problems. I am tired or hearing it. I think it is in the permissions but I don't seem to be getting to all the permissions??????????? It sure seems to act like that