English patch on a non-English Win2000

Hello everybody!

I'd like to use a patch in an attempt to improve an uncomfortable bug in Win2000's USB. However, this functional (not security) patch, issued after W2k's main lifespan, is not common, and I could only find the English version.

Though, the only file it brings is already "English" in my Windows ("silent" would be more accurate), so I hoped the patch would install. But nothing, nada, niente. Himmeldonnerwetterverdammtescheisse!

I already tried to run the Setup.exe or Install.exe in the expanded patch (same result), as well as install options (no such is listed). I still haven't tried to change Window's language in the registry.

Sorry if this is a hackneyed topic! I didn't find a corresponding thread here, and it's new to me.

For other similar patches, I could just extract the useful new files (like Openhci.sys, Uhcd.sys, Usbehci.sys, Usbhub20.sys) and replace the old ones in C:\Winnt\System32\Drivers :whistle: , restart, and to my surprise it still works... ¡Ole! The driver manager shows the new version numbers, and my Usb hardware works. Reminds of good old Win95, but somehow disappointing for W2k's security.

Now, such a method doesn't work with Usbstor.sys, which exists in \Drivers, \DllCache and Driver.cab: when I replace the file in \DllCache and quickly in \Drivers (as is done to replace Notepad by Metapad for instance) the old version (from Driver.cab I suppose) is restored after about one second. And neither 7zip nor IZArc can inject the new version in Driver.cab.

So what's the solution? Create or modify a patch based on the English one?

And by the way: would HfSlip accept to slip an English patch in a non-English Windows?

Thanks!

1. Did you copy its .CAT file to CatRoot first?

2. (On XP,) with normal integration of hotfixes (on live installation), I've noticed that most of USB-related devices don't pick up the updated drivers unless you go to device manager and uninstall ALL USB devices including hubs etc. Yeah they are kinda special... :rolleyes:

3. To repack Driver.cab I use the following line:

cabarc.exe -m LZX:21 N driver.cab driver\*.*

picked up from here somewhere or another forum... And Cabarc should be easy to find...

GL

the old version (from Driver.cab I suppose) is restored after about one second. And neither 7zip nor IZArc can inject the new version in Driver.cab.

So what's the solution?

Do the replacement from another OS instance, or disable system file protection

(lookup google for how to do that. You'll need to change one registry value *and*

in addition hack two bytes in sfc.dll if I remember well).

HTH

--

Ninho