Search within files in Vista

spacesurfer

In XP, you could open explorer, click on Search in the toolbar and type is a search term in the "containing text" to search files like .txt or .doc to search for terms only in that folder.

How can you do this in Vista? I'm having a hard time searching within text files in Vista as it's not straight-forward. I can't tell if it's searching only within that folder or for all folders? And is it searching within files or searching filenames?

When you use the search fields in Vista (either in the start menu or in the search box in an Explorer window) you are searching for file names, keywords, or text within a file (those are the default parameters). Also, Vista searches all of the "indexed" locations, and omits others unless you do an advanced search and explicitly search non-indexed locations. You can change this behavior from the Indexing options in the control panel.

• 1 month later...

I can find a webpage in my start menu but when I search for it in the windows search. It isn't there, even with advance find and search hiddden or unindexed items. How do I find this page? If I right click, it brings up "Open" and "Open File Location" but when I click on it, it doesn't take me to the actual page, just the general home page of that website.

Where would this page or information be stored on my computer because I'd like to delete it completely.