BUG Network Status

S1L3nCe

Bug explained:

When I install my nlited windows (XP PRO SP3), if I use default start menu, when I double click on my network (control panel/network connections/local area network) to get the status nothing happens. If I right-click it and then click on status nothing happens either. The only way to be able to see the network status when using default start menu is to right-click on properties and enable "show icon in notification area when connected" and double-click on the tray icon.

But, when I enable classic start menu the bug is not present at all.

I have "relatively" isolated the problem and found that the step that is causing the bug is the "Tweaks" step. But dunno which one of the tweaks.

PS: I don't see any direct or indirect relationship between the bug and the types of start menus :(

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by S1L3nCe

S1L3nCe, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

Thanks for the info. I've updated the post with the ini file.

I have only added sp3 (the CD was sp2) and many updates. But when I generate an iso with those updates and remove certain components I don't get any bugs. The bug is only present when I reach the tweaking options (boot, destkop, explorer, startup, etc).

S1L3nCe, I see nothing in your Last Session that would cause your symptoms and have never heard of them before. Usually, weird symptoms are caused by running nLite more than once against the same source. In your Last Session, I see no drivers or hot fixes, which leads me to think you have done just that. Try starting with a fresh copy of your source CD, and make all your changes, add SP3 and hot fixes, drivers all in ONE nLite session and see if that works. I also suggest you get a virtual system (such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox, or VMware Server - all free) to test under and save making coasters. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

S1L3nCe, I see nothing in your Last Session that would cause your symptoms and have never heard of them before. Usually, weird symptoms are caused by running nLite more than once against the same source. In your Last Session, I see no drivers or hot fixes, which leads me to think you have done just that. Try starting with a fresh copy of your source CD, and make all your changes, add SP3 and hot fixes, drivers all in ONE nLite session and see if that works. I also suggest you get a virtual system (such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox, or VMware Server - all free) to test under and save making coasters. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

Yep, I use virtual machines to test my results :)

OK. I'll try that tomorrow (doing it all in one step). I'll let you know my results soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually having the exact same bug right now. I start from a fresh WinXP Service Pack 2 CD each time, and use this Last Session.ini:

Last_Session.ini

Installed it on a VMWare virtual machine and a Dell desktop, both exhibit the same issue. Double clicking on the Network Connection does not work. Right Clicking and selecting Status does not work. It only works if I set it to display an icon in the taskbar and I double click the icon.

Any suggestions?

mgancarz, since I don't know anything about update packs, I always suspect them. I suggest you remove everything in the Hot Fix section and see if that works on VM. A couple of things I am wondering about: is IE7 in the update pack? are your updates in order and not duplicates of the ones in the update pack? Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

mgancarz, since I don't know anything about update packs, I always suspect them. I suggest you remove everything in the Hot Fix section and see if that works on VM. A couple of things I am wondering about: is IE7 in the update pack? are your updates in order and not duplicates of the ones in the update pack? Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

I'm leaning towards thinking it's not the update packs since I integrated those files earlier and did not notice the bug, though I may just have not tried it then. IE7 is not in the update pack, and the updates are in order. However I did notice KB938127 and KB956391 are in the Update pack, though they show up as needed after IE7 install unless I integrate them seperately, which I did.

Is it possible removing QoS RSVP and Quality of Service (QoS) in the Components section could be the cause? I guess there's no easy way to check except for me to test each case and see.

mgancarz, I don't suspect these (QoS...). See this site about services. Again, I urge you to try my suggested experiment and we'll go from there. The fact that those two KBs are in the update pack, but WUD says they are not installed, is a real problem that I would not sluff off. Enjoy, John.

mgancarz, I don't suspect these (QoS...). See this site about services. Again, I urge you to try my suggested experiment and we'll go from there. The fact that those two KBs are in the update pack, but WUD says they are not installed, is a real problem that I would not sluff off. Enjoy, John.

I've narrowed it down.. the bug only happens when I enable the Tweaks in nLite. I haven't narrowed it down yet to which tweak, but something in the Tweaks section is causing it. I made two exact same builds, the second one just had the tweaks section left blank. The one with tweaks didn't work, the one without did.

Also enabling Classic Start Menu fixes the bug. The second that I go back to the non-Classic Start Menu, it occurs again. I also have to close the Network Connections window and re-open it after switching to Classic.

So it seems something in the registry tweaks done by nLite can cause this. Next I'll probably try to run Process Monitor to see if I can narrow down whether it's something that is getting denied or what exactly is happening. Seems to be faster then working tweak-by-tweak to eliminate it.

mgancarz, have you tried the experiment I suggested? John.

Yes I have: Clean Win XP SP2 CD, added only tweaks, unattended install info and textmode drivers.

LAST_SESSION.INI

Same exact bug manifests itself and is once again 'removed' by toggling Start Menu to Classic. It returns once the Start Menu is returned to the normal setting.

So this bug is completely unrelated to the hotfixes I was applying since it appears even without any hotfixes applied. I'm going to start going tweak by tweak now to try and narrow it down.