Do AutoIt-made installers still need switches?

simurqq

At different forums I see that people recommend AutoIt to make the unattended install of addons silent. But now I can see some recommendations to use the silent switches even for addons made by AutoIt. So, why do I need AutoIt then?!?

E.g., I want to make some changes in pre-install windows of Winamp (like disable Winamp Library and visualizations) - before they all are installed on my computer. When I make it with SVCPACK method with a simple silent switch, it installs with all these features installed - this is what I don't want to happen. Now, when I heard about the capabilities of AutoIt I was quite happy to use it. I even wrote a script which makes the whole process of install quite seamless. But when it comes to switches, I really get confused - 'coz some say AutoIt allows for switchless install and some say - you still need to use switches for different installers.

Which one 's true, for God's sake!

Just wanted to add a couple words.

I have tried to use @SW_HIDE but, unfortunately, it didn't help So far I have made two scripts with AutoIt - 1) Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (KIS); 2) WinAMP Pro 5.541.2189. Both of them install ok, without any user interaction.

The reason I choose AutoIt is that some programs like KIS and WinAMP need to be pre-configured before actual installation. E.g., using AutoIt, I can prevent KIS from asking for Activation just simply clicking on "Activate Later". Or, for example, for WinAMP I can choose NOT to install Media Library, Visualizations, or Google Toolbar. All of these tweaks, as far as I understand, are not possible by simply adding silent/quiet switches because when I simply add silent switches (using USSF or CMenu) to my addons, what I got at the end of installation is a FULL INSTALL of the program with all sh*t copied to my computer.

On the other hand, with all of its advantages, AutoIt still makes GUI visible. What I thought before is that AutoIt had a code or something to write into the script which acts the same way as silent switch. That's why I asked whether AutoIt hides GUI or not. But again, @SW_HIDE doesn't work for me. Maybe you could post the line with @SW_HIDE parameter that you use for your addon so that I can see if I did everything correct?! I will appreciate it!

Thanks!

@SW_HIDE does not work with every application. Just use @SW_MINIMIZE. Or maybe you can try this:

RunWait($apppath, "", @SW_MINIMIZE)
WinWait("App Window Name")
WinSetState("App Window Name", "", @SW_HIDE)

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-