Creating a basic unattended setup

INTI

Newbie clarification question here.

Is this step necessary (http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/7/SESSID=3c679e243a873fd11edad2f94c308016/) even if you have already created the ISO using nLITE? I feel like the last few screens of nLITE had me answer the exact same questions, e.g. I put in information about Name, Organization, Display settings, time zone, product key etc...

Does nLITE do the above step automatically, or is creating the WINNT.SIF file necessary? It seems that there is already a WINNT.SIF file in the ISO I386 folder.

Thanks

Edited by INTI

INTI, something is wrong with your link and I cannot see it. But, nLite should do all that is necessary for an unattended install. It does create all the needed entries in WINNT.SIF. You should consider a virtual system such as VirtualBox, VirtualPC or VMware Server - all free - for testing (prevents coasters). If you have problems, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

Thanks John. Your answer clarified things for me. :thumbup The link in my original post was supposed to point to Step 4 of the Beginning Users of the MSFN's Unattended Windows Guide.

One follow-up question: In following your recommendation to stick with a single nLite session, at what point does one incorporate the driver packs from DriverPack.net using their third party installer called DriverPacks Base?

The way I did it was to first slip stream XP SP3 into my source folder using nLite, then while nLite is still open and before integrating addons etc., I used the DriverPack Base installer to slip stream the driver packs into the XP SP3 source folder, continuing on with the rest of nLite integrations. Does that sound correct, or would I approach it in a different order?

INTI, I am not a user of driver packs, but that sounds OK to me. Perhaps a user of driver packs will confirm this. This is why I suggest a virtual system, to test these things quickly and without coasters. Enjoy, John.