cable questions

crimstudent

alright this is what i want. i have computer with monitor and a flatscreen tv. the computer and monitor are next to each other. the flatscreen tv is in another room. i want the computer connected to both the computer monitor and flatscreen tv. the purpose of this is to set the computer up to do dual screen when i want to play movies on the flatscreen tv in the family room. what is the best way to do this?

my video card is a gtx 260 which has 2 dvi connections. i have 1 dvi connection currently being used to connect to the computers monitor. should i?

1. buy dvi to hdmi cable to (dvi hooked into computer and hdmi into flatscreen tv in another room)

2. buy hdmi to hdmi (use converter on video card to convert dvi to hdmi and hook computer and flatscreen tv with hdmi at both ends.

now either cable will be 25ft or longer in length will this effect performance in any way?

i found 25 feet of hdmi to hdmi on newegg for $22. another question i thought of is sound. if i used hdmi i understand it carries sound as well as video. would this mean that playing a moving on the pc would allow the sound to played by the speakers on the flatscreen in the other room?

Edited by crimstudent

WOW you found a great deal!

Not really. It's pretty much the everyday price at a lot of places. You can easily find 25ft cables for $25 (sometimes even the HDMI 1.3a kind)... Unless you happen to only shop at WorstBuy who only sells greatly-overmarked already-overpriced cables that are no better, but attract the crowd who thinks it's magically better because they paid more.

monoprice has a 25ft hdmi cable for $17 here (they got a gold plated one for a couple bucks more if you're into that). If you can get by with 15ft, there's some around $5.

There's no reason for HDMI cables to cost a lot. It's a simple digital signal (doesn't degrade unlike analog signals), with simple and inexpensive connectors -- much like USB.

Audio wise, GTX260's seem to have a SPDIF port (to connect your sound card output), so you can have audio over HDMI as well.

good replies. i realized that i do have a long audio cable that i can run from my sound card into my receiver which is attached to my speakers. so does anybody know if using a longer cable would affect image? also for the long run.. 10years and more. would it make more sense to buy hdmi to hdmi (is this a standard being moved to from dvi? or should i just use dvi to hdmi and connect dvi to video card and hdmi to tv?

That card should have come with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I would use that along with HDMI-HDMI 1.3a cable.

Also, it should come with an S/PDIF audio cable that attachs to the spdif header on the motherboard(if one exists), thus making it possible to send sound across HDMI.