can nLite integrate IE6 into 2000?

Molecule

a search on nLite and IE6 produced one post, from a few years ago, which asks the same question (but got no answers).

from what I can make of it (I am total n00b at NT-think) nLite can't integrate IE6 sp1. Not as a cab file set from Microsoft's admin install for Windows 2000. (I found a video on how to convert a cab set to an addon, but it wouldn't run in my 98se system. couldn't find a html tutorial.)

Can I use nLite for updates/upgrades, and HFSLIP for IE6? In that case, could I use nLite to integrate updates from SP4 to Sept 2005 (IE6sp1 release date), then use HFSLIP for IE6, then return to nLite to finish ... in which case I assume the source dir for one will be the output dir for the previous integrator?

(Nothing against HFSLIP, but nLite seems simpler and more convenient in that it let's me preserve my database and file structure for updates, upgrades, component addons, etc.)

thanks if you can help. big thanks, if nLite can integrate IE6sp1 cab set into 2000!

Molecule, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. I know little about 2000, but we all will need to look at your Last Session. Enjoy, John.

thanks for the helping hand

a last session ini, if I follow directions, could only contain type 1 and 2 patches updating a w2k-sp4-oem file set.

the leadin exe for IE6 installer (iesetup.exe) appears to be a type 2, but it really isn't. it's only the lead file for a whole set of exe, ini and cab files.

For all of the tutorials and manpages on the web, I can't find any instruction on how to tell nLite where the IE6 cab sets are. (the IE6 "admin install" is loosely a collection of inis and cabs, which are instantiated from a "iesetup.exe". "iesetup.exe" itself looks like a type 2 -- when expanded it contains a ie6wzd.exe, a type 1 exe.)

Kurt Aust on his page, implies that the IE6 install cabs have to be user compiled into an nLite update package or addon package. Most of the packages come with god knows what else, and I'd prefer to roll my own, just the same.

I looked for instruction on how to build an IE6-w2k addon for nLite (it can't be that hard) but can't find one. Vier's has a video "tutorial" but on opening his avi in WMP9 in w98se, it MP searches for some webpage somewhere and then returns an error message, "unregistered," but doesn't say what.

Kurt Aust's w2k page: http://www.msfn.org/board/HOWTO_fully_date...DVD_t97047.html

Vier's CreateurAddOn Pack Maker: http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

I'm kind of a low risktaker, and usually prefer to follow instructions. Since I haven't seen any instruction on how to nLite the IE6 cab sets, I'll just go ahead and try treating IE6 iesetup.exe as if it is a standard type 2 (which I'm pretty sure isn't). I'll put the related ini, exe and cab files in the same directory with it, and give it a go. Maybe the standard switches will work???

Be back in an hour or so...

johnhc -- I tried running iesetup.exe to no avail. A codebox of the Last Sesssion.ini follows.

Sorry but the new upload feature doesn't work on my machine. It hangs my otherwise rock solid W98se + Gape's USP 2.1 + Mozilla, with both javascript and java turned on just to be sure. No big deal, as it's a tiny file -- for proofing I ran only this one install.

I think Kurt's right -- IE6 to be compiled into a service pack or an addon. That's what I'd like to learn how to build. HFSLIP does it with batch code, so it's probably doable. An addon just for IE6sp1, or for .Net x, or whatever nLite needs. so they can be added 1 by 1, and the builder can choose his extras.

user note:
put iesetup.exe from IE6sp1 admin install package in nLite hotfix list box
1st msg box [(X) Internet Explorer 6 setup] Command line option syntax error. Type /? for help.
2nd msg box [nLite] iesetup.exe - This is not expected type of hotfix.
Last Session.ini follows:
====
[Main]
Env = 1.4.9.1 - 2.0.50727.42.Microsoft Windows NT 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4
Target = Windows 2000 Professional SP4 - 5.0.2195.6717 - English (United States)

[Tasks]
Hotfixes and Update Packs

[Components]
;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]
msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]
clock.avi
yahoo.bmp
swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]
ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"
TargetPath = "WINNT"
temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
AdvTweaks

[Patches]

[Services2]

[Tweaks]

[Unattended]
ComputerType = Automatic
CustomLocales
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12
RestorePointLife = 30
DesktopTheme = Default||
AutoUDay = 5
AutoUHour = 15
ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"

[NetAdapter1]
connname = ""
macaddress = ""
ipaddress = "192.168.0.1"
subnetmask = "255.255.255.0"
defaultgateway = ""
dnsserver1 = ""
dnsserver2 = ""
winsserver = ""
netbiossetting = "0"
ipxnetworknumber = "00000000"
ipxnetworkframetype = "0xFF"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

[Hotfixes]
D:\win2000\Microsoft\2-CoreComponents\IE6sp1_2kXp\ie6setup.exe

Kurt -- as a n00b, I can only say how much I appreciate your w2k tutorial. As to nuts and bolts, it is the clearest yet.

since you are one of the main service pack builders -- you may find some of the information at Windows 2000 updates lists compared hopefully helpful, or at least surprising/interesting.

in your tutorial linked above, you rename regular patches to put them in sequence in the nLite listbox. I was thinking of building a batch file using the SetFileTime feature in Nir Sofer's open source NirCmd to set the date created and date modified on the update files back to their original dates of release. Patch lists could then be sorted by date of publication (rather than by name, or date downloaded). The list of patch files could then be copied in proper date sequence into the nLite listbox, and we don't have to change their names. That assumes that nLite slipstreams them in the same order as they appear in the listbox, top to bottom. None of the other nLite tutorial writers catch that point. I also wonder how HFSLIP does it, as it uses filenames alone. KB filenames are clearly not in date sequence. I seem to remember several cases where an earlier KB-higher number was superceded by a later KB-lower number.

Back to the main point -- Do you know of a tutorial where I can learn how to build nLite service packs/addons for IE6 alone? for .Net alone? etc. Can we make this a tutorial that other nLite nOObs like me could follow, or is that pretty far out there?

Welcome to the grand alliance of n00bs, I'm just a hobbyist myself. I certainly wouldn't call myself a service pack builder, I just maintain an easy to use hotfix list.

I chose to use a .bat file to rename and hence force order as it's completely transparent, simply put I don't want to have to say "trust me", also it allows me to easily delete outdated hotfixes that retain the same name. Within the same general type nLite will slipstream (or add to SVCpack) in the listed order.

As to a tutorial for creating a true AddOn (not switchless installer) for IE6, I think you're out of luck, for 2 reasons:

1. There are perfectly good methods out there already (HFslip, OnePiece's AddOn, Gurglemeyer's USP5)

2. With Win 2000 reaching end of support next year, interest has understandably died down.

As for a Service Pack, well if Kelsenellenelvian couldn't do it even with access to the compiler, I don't like your chances.