DV7 1150Us NEED DRIVERS FOR XP

venkaya

Take a look at the Vista drivers for your machine first. Many of them are actually XP drivers that just happen to work with Vista. OEMs don't want their customers knowing this so they don't advertise the fact.

You can't always tell from inspecting the .inf files, so just try installing them and see what happens. It can't hurt anything to try.

Your first step is to identify your exact hardware, right down to the chip models used. Once you do that, finding the drivers is usually as simple as googling for it.

• 2 months later...
Take a look at the Vista drivers for your machine first. Many of them are actually XP drivers that just happen to work with Vista. OEMs don't want their customers knowing this so they don't advertise the fact.

:)

I'd like to see a confirmation of this. Vista drivers working on XP for the DV7-11xx series.

One of the jobs I have at work is to test new laptops with XP drivers for a special PXE bootsystem which automatically installs the drivers for the

system, if they're correctly linked to their Hardware ID's.

Currently I'm testing a DV7-1110ED. I've managed to get XP installed with an "ATI HDMI Audio" driver (v5.10.0.5692) and an "IDT HD Audio driver".

I found them while googling although I can't find the exact link atm, so can't post it here.

But from what I've read in those forum threads there's a DELL system that uses the same (or closely similar) chipsets.

One thing with the drivers I found is that it doesn't support the multi-point speaker setup. Or whatever filter they used to seperate the high frequencies from the low.

Any sound you play through the speakers will sound dull, muffled and slightly phased-out. But when you use headphones it sounds good.

I'll try and find the forum threads again, and post them here (if allowed by the mods).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Ephex,

I saw you posted that you test laptops with Windows XP for your work. You said that you had the HP Pavilion DV7-1110ED worked well with Windows XP. I was trying installing Windows XP on my HP Pavilion DV7-1110ED and i came pretty far, but not far enough :(. Still couldn't fiind some drivers. Can you please send me all the Windows XP drivers for the HP Pavilion DV7-1110ED? You would really help me and i appreciated it a lot. I hope i here from you soon.

• 5 months later...

I'd bet any machine, laptop or desktop, shipping today has XP drivers, even if the OEM won't provide them.

HP is especially notorious for this. You can see from many of their driver archives where they've removed the XP drivers but neglected to remove the XP folders.

In the last 2 years, I've switched 3 OEM machines to XP. A Compaq laptop, and 2 Dell desktops, all shipped with Vista.

Anyway, finding XP drivers for the Dells are easy as Dell provides many of them, or did when I was working on these machines. It's been several months now. Plus Dell uses very common hardware.

The Compaq Presario laptop was a bit more difficult. It has an odd Conextant audio and an integrated modem, which gave me fits and took some trial and error, but I finally found the proper drivers after about 3 days of digging. Most of the drivers for this particular machine were actually easy to find.

It just takes some work, but it is possible. It helps a lot if you extract all the driver info you possibly can, especially PnPID strings, from the existing OS install, including the drivers themselves.

Good luck with the HP machines. You're going to need it.