WinXPSP3 KB952069

MacNala

As a newcomer to nLite 1.4.9.1 I need a little help.

I ran the default generation of Windows XP SP3 from a slipstreamed CD I had. I then used the generated ISO to install the contents into a Virtual PC machine successfully.

The real reason for my trying nLite was to protect my XP system in the event that I need to re-instal XP on a machine and MS has stopped making updates available.

So I next ran a generation using the initial setup and adding the update files I had previously confirmed would update individually an installed WinXP SP3. When nLite came to process the updates it objected to only one, KB952065 with an error message I attach in the nLite Error.png file. I also attach the Last Session.ini file I think was in use.

Can anyone tell me what happened and will the update be added?

Edit See later version of Last Session.ini

post-223232-1229369657_thumb.png

Edited by MacNala

MacNala, that can't be your Last Session.ini because it shows no hot fixes. I suspect the slipstreamed CD you are using. Can you get the original CD files/folders and do all your work in one nLite session? Enjoy, John.

MacNala, sorry I know nothing about AutoStreamer. I suggest you start with the original CD, run nLite only one time slipstreaming SP3 and integrating your other changes and hot fixes. I suspect some incompatibility with AutoStreamer. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Please provide a link to the KB952069 DL. I have looked and cannot find it. Thanks, John.

Edited by johnhc

MacNala, no wonder I could not find it. Your Last Session.ini tags it with SP3. You should use hot fixes ONLY post SP3. NLite is rejecting it because it is already in the source due to slipstreaming SP3. None of your hot fixes should be prior to SP3. Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

iamtheky, no wonder I could not find it. Your Last Session.ini tags it with SP3. You should use hot fixes ONLY post SP3. NLite is rejecting it because it is already in the source due to slipstreaming SP3. None of your hot fixes should be prior to SP3. Enjoy, John.
I think that must be a mistake. The SP3 update is a different number (KB936929). The one quoted by iamtheky (KB952069) is a security update to the original SP3 update. It cannot be in the SP3 fix because it only came out in the last monthly fixes.

I am beginning to think that there must be something wrong with nLite.

On a separate point how can you tell an update is post SP3?

I did this by installing the SP3 streamed version and then allowing MS Update to generate a list of updates it wanted to apply. Which incidentally included Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - December 2008 (KB890830) in addition to KB952069. If the method adopted by nLite cannot handle these types of updates then it may not be the tool for me.

Edited by MacNala

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

that bias hard to find.

No one was saying that it was "the SP3 fix", initial searches only turned up SP2 versions cause everyone other o/s is getting 959087, so it led me to believe maybe the KB was not for SP3.

IMHO having to tack a couple of hotfixes into the runonce or cmdlines does not make Nlite any less great for integrating ummmm.... every other aspect of my unattended install.

MacNala, I doubt seriously you have found a bug in nLite. None of the updates you mention in your last post are in your Last Session.ini except the one you had an error on. You said it was in the latest MS updates yet it is the first in your hot fix list. Perhaps it is dependent on an earlier fix. For sure you will not be able to to use the Malicious Removal Tool via nLite and I don't know about the Genuine Advantage Validation Tool. I also don't see Service Pack Integration in your Last Session. If you can get your hot fixes lined up properly and run nLite (do all your work in one session) without any error messages, perhaps you will get an ISO out of the deal. John.

Edit" Sorry, iamtheky - my BAD. John

Edited by johnhc

SNIP

IMHO having to tack a couple of hotfixes into the runonce or cmdlines does not make Nlite any less great for integrating ummmm.... every other aspect of my unattended install.

May I ask the obvious question how do you create a RunOnce entry?

I assume you have to copy the fix or other update to the output folder and then enter a command string which will execute the file from the

%SOURCE% file.

Or have i got it wrong again.

Incidentally I have abandoned trying to embed the security update referred to above as a hot fix and now am trying the runonce solution but having difficulty.

Yes I copy them all into the d drive. That way they can be re-ran by the end user if something failed during install. Most of the time its just dependent hotfixes in the runonce, like the WMP11 example; but I have had to start doing it with server 03 hotfixes cause they brutalize my install.

folder structure being

-I386

-$oem$

-d

-WMP11

Runonce.cmd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@echo off

cls

SET REGKEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %REGKEY% /V TITLE /D "WMP11 Example" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /VE /D "Installing Windows Media Player 11" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /v 1 /D "d:\WMP11\wmp11.exe /Q:A" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /v 2 /D "d:\WMP11\KB954154.exe /passive /norestart" /f

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All M$ hotfixes accept /passive /norestart arguments (at least all I have encountered).

Hope that helps.

Yes I copy them all into the d drive. That way they can be re-ran by the end user if something failed during install. Most of the time its just dependent hotfixes in the runonce, like the WMP11 example; but I have had to start doing it with server 03 hotfixes cause they brutalize my install.

folder structure being

-I386

-$oem$

-d

-WMP11

Runonce.cmd

---------------------------------------

SNIP

Yes in parts. By the D drive you mean that your target machines all have a D drive?

I am trying to create the bootable disc to contain all the updates for machines that only have a C drive.

So if I understand you correctly you put "Runonce.cmd" in the Runonce tab entry in nLite and the "Runonce.cmd" file in the folder that contains the slipstreamed files modified by nLite?

When is the runonce executed, the guide says at first logon, is that correct?

Thanks for keeping me sane!