Home network topology and security.. advice needed...

drscouse

Im in the process of setting up a home windows server (2k3 64bit), which I wil be using for home working, and file/media storage etc.... I may decide to use 32bit instead.. not too sure yet... it would make MS ISA available....

I want to be able to remote access or VPN to the system, and my network, but am concerned about security.

I want the server to act as a mail/web/file/ftp/print server etc and connect to my internal network... but am unsure of the best way to secure it all. Being able to remote access or VPN is important, and I will hopeuflly have a go at setting up exchange so I can have Outlook Web Access....

I know there are plenty of linux options, but would prefer windows environment...

Now what I think is that I either need to have a firewall pc (linux or distro) with 3 nics (external/internal & dmz for server) or maybe a router with dmz...??? I do have a small desktop pc which would be good, but it can only have 2 nics.. no more slots... can I utilize this, or do I really need 3...

Would a router with dmz port be any good....???? Although, this would leave the server itself vulnerable, and wityout firewall protection....

Or would a software based firewall for the server, suffice..?????

Any suggesitons would be welcome...

Edited by drscouse

Your options really run the gamut! There is a big difference between running a home router versus building an ISA/OWA/VPN server. You shouyld focus on your requirements. What exactly do you need to do? If you have a good list then that will lead you to the best solution for you. Don't forget to include acceptable cost!