integrate SP3 on a SP2 cd bug

Tibibs

hi !

im trying to integrate the SP3 on my XP SP2 cd, so i downloaded the sp3 from the microsoft servers, i launched nlite, selected my directory where i copied my cd, but when i try to integrate the SP3,everythign is good during the extraction, than it begins to copy the files, till the end, when an error message is displayed saying something like "an error has occured during the copy of the files from the service pack to the cd"

thx

bye

PS : im on vista

load up the sp2 in a virtual machine, copy over the sp3, double click.

Or delete that copy and download another and try and slipstream it, whichever would be quicker.

Maybe integrate from the command line will give you a more descript error.

well i have already tried to do it by a command line, exactly the same error,

which softwre do yo uadvise me for a virtual machine?

and my copy comes from the ms servers, and i already downloaded it twice :S

thx

Tibibs, we need to see your LastSession.ini to see what you are doing. Please attach (not paste) it here. Make sure you are not nLiteing the same source more than once. Always start with a fresh copy of your CD's files/folders and do all your integration in one nLite session. You can use virtual systems such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox or VMware Server - all free! Enjoy, John.

an error message is displayed saying something like "an error has occured during the copy of the files from the service pack to the cd"

The exact message would be more helpfull. Are you sure the SP is the good language ?

I am having some trouble understanding the actual scope of your problem.

However here are a few, common mistakes people make.

Never use a PRE-nLited CD.

OEM disks really suck and usually CANNOT be properly slipstreamed.

Don't extract the service pack! Point nLite to the unmodified SP.

Try, if at all posssible, to get ahold of a no-sp disk.

Edit -- Saw your edit and see that you have a Dell OEM cd. Your chances of slipstreaming it have effectivly gone to near - ZERO.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Tibibs, Kels may be correct, but I don't think it is time to give up. First, please attach your LastSession.ini as I requested before. I see you are running Vista. Try running nLite in XP Compatibility Mode. Right click nLite.exe (in Programs Files folder), select Properties-Compatibility tab-check 'Run in...' and select XP SP2 Compatibility Mode. I have downloaded WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-FRA.exe, it is 309 MB (324,222,504 bytes), and has an MD5 of A9A9A86E7330BFFAF64AE2ACFB73D959. If you disagree with any of these, please let me know. Enjoy, John.