XP Wireless Issue on a Toshiba Laptop

Redhatcc

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to get wireless working on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2031 laptop. I initially tried the internal card and using the wireless program it came with, it could find a signal and claim to be connected, yet no Internet. I then put a Linksys USB wireless adapter in there and downloaded the latest drivers. It did the same thing and no Internet using the Linksys program. The wireless point I am connecting to is the one where I work and it connects fine on other PC's using the same WEP key I used for the Toshiba laptop.

Also note that the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility does not show up in the system tray like it normally does. I'm not sure what the person did to the laptop but I have to go into network connections to open up that wireless configuration utility and you guessed it... It does the same thing as the other wireless utilities.

Any suggestions would be appreciated... Reloading XP is not an option right now unfortunately.... Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows Xp with which service packs?

There was a required update to get wireless working with wpa personal or wpa2 personal (i dont remember which) on a SP2 machine but I dont think that will help for the WEP.

Have you checked that the WEP key length is the same in the XP machine you are using and the access point you already have setup.

I always prefer to use the windows own wireless configuration utility because its simple and integrated into the os anyway.

To enable it you uninstall the wireless software and it should re-enable the windows own wireless configuration utility.

The service may need re-enabling.

Start

Run

Type services.msc

Scroll to Wireless Zero Configuration

Right click and select properties

Set Startup Type = Automatic

Click Start to start without reboot

Click Apply then Ok

Close Services

I have found in the past that the uninstaller for the manufacturer's wireless software uninstalls the drivers.

To overcome this, it is usually possible to extract the drivers out of the software installer, open up device manager and point the new hardware driver installation wizard to your extracted drivers.

Hope this helps, although I would recommend you switch to WPA/WPA2 if the hardware supports it and use create a key with special characters, that and if the data transmitted is deemed important because WEP is considered a weak encryption. (But you already knew that being RedHat user, right?! ;))