drive letter assignment & unattended install & diskpart

darksimoon

hello friends :)

i want to install xp unattended by winpe2.0 from usb flash disk. i put the setup files in WXP86 folder which resides at the

root of UFD. there are the happenings and my demand for help :)

1) after booting to winpe, i go to wxp86 folder and call autorun1.cmd manually. how can i make it automatic or is there any shorter way doing so than manually and with my interfere that is with "install" or "dont install" option ?

2) below is my autorun1.cmd, partinfo.txt but unfortunately i get the error as in the picture. (saying that "the drive you

specified (C:) is too small to hold the required the temporary setup files...")

autorun1.cmd

-------------

DISKPART /s partinfo.txt

SET CDROM=%~d0

%CDROM%\WXP86\i386\winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /tempdrive:C /unattend:"%CDROM%\WXP86\i386\winnt.sif" /makelocalsource

--------------

and

partinfo.txt

------------

anyway it seems that i lost the contents :(

------------

but what i need is a batch file /partinfo.txt that selects my UFD and assign letter U; then select the first partition at disk 0 (HDD)format it assign letter C active for system installation. so that the installation gets realized on HDD/C partition and i dont get the above error.

better option would be a batch file that checks the HDD if there are any partition if so let the above begin. if not let it create a partition C (lets say 30GB) for system install and partition D for data.

pls can you help me about especially 2nd. question ? thanks in advance :)

post-58042-1227526597_thumb.png

hi jaclaz :)

you catched me while doing laziness :) but this time at least i know where to start and i'm on my way. jaclaz you give me some links and they lead to other links then i find myself lost :unsure: In real life my ocupation is banking. :) computing is a hoppy but i am found of it. :thumbup

so let me ask like this. Can i assign UFD letter as "U" by diskpart commands ? if yes even this part of the answer is great favour for me. if not i will search for alternate solutions as in your answer (migrate.inf)

you catched me while doing laziness but this time at least i know where to start and i'm on my way. jaclaz you give me some links and they lead to other links then i find myself lost In real life my ocupation is banking. computing is a hoppy but i am found of it.

Sure, everyone has his "real" life, I am a project manager/construction engineer, and this kind of stuff is a hobby too. :)

so let me ask like this. Can i assign UFD letter as "U" by diskpart commands ? if yes even this part of the answer is great favour for me. if not i will search for alternate solutions as in your answer (migrate.inf)

I don't t know. :unsure:

If you boot the PE from the UFD, it would be easier to use the MOUNTVOL command, there are a couple of threads about ways to identify drives through batch or .vbs:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=124539&hl=

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=125992&hl=

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=126069&hl=

but anyway you'll have to study and experiment...;)

jaclaz

hello again :)

i have heard of someting like bootsect.exe. can't we use it for giving a fixed drive letter to usb when booting ? for example when making usb bootable for winpe we use diskpart command and make the usb disk active. then can we use bootsect /nt52 U command to give the U letter to usb disk ?

P.S. sorry ! i searched and see that it is used for making disk bootable not for letter assignment. :(

Edited by darksimoon