Problem with Windows Update

shadow0890

Hi. I've been having problems with Windows Update on my Vista Enterprise laptop. A while ago, Windows stopped being able to check for updates. Every time I click "check for updates" it checks for about 10 minutes and then fails and gives me the error code 80080005. After that, an icon appears in the system tray and says "Windows can't check for updates." This affects Windows, Office and Windows Defender.

I have looked up this error and have not been able to find a solution. I tried installing the Standalone Windows Update client, but it fails to install. When I try to reinstall SP1, it won't let me because it says it's already installed. Is there any way to reinstall the components needed for Windows Update?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I went to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files and there were only 4 entries. 3 of them were for Java and the other was for Flash Player.

I don't believe this would work because when you go to the Windows Update website, it just opens up the Windows Update panel which is accessible from the Control Panel.

It actually appears to be saying it can't create or execute something, likely due to faulty dll registration or a service not being in the running state:

# for hex 0x80080005 / decimal -2146959355 :
CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE winerror.h
# Server execution failed
# 1 matches found for "80080005"

I'd suggest the following:

1. Open a command prompt, and execute the following commands:

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

Reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters /v ServiceDll /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %windir%\System32\qmgr.dll

Reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

2. Open the Windows folder, and rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistributionOld.

3. In the command prompt still open, execute the following commands:

net start bits

net start wuauserv

4. Restart the computer and then try to access Windows Update.

I went to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files and there were only 4 entries. 3 of them were for Java and the other was for Flash Player.

I don't believe this would work because when you go to the Windows Update website, it just opens up the Windows Update panel which is accessible from the Control Panel.

Blah... Guess I need to stop using todays active topics. I didn't realize this is the Vista section :unsure:.