How to select drive letters in Windows Setup?

Hi,

I need help on setting up Windows with my choice of drive letters.

I have one 1TB HDD that I've partitioned into 120GB and 811GB. I want to install Windows XP Pro SP3 on the 120GB partition and call it "R". I've formatted the 811GB partition already and want to call it "N". I've booted from a BartPE CD, run DiskPart, and named the partitions. But when I install Windows, it sees (and installs to) the partitions as "C" and "D" instead of "R" and "N". This also ruins my installation as I am moving Docs and Settings to "N" (which doesn't exist).

How do I set up my unattended installation to install to "R" and "N"? Do I need to run DiskPart and rename the partitions just before Windows Setup? If so, how?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

That's what I was afraid of. :(

But then, some people recommend not installing Windows to C: for added security against hackers, viruses, and the like. If it's not possible to freely pick which drive letter to install to, how do they install Windows to a letter other than C:? Maybe I have to make C the 811GB partition and D the 120GB partition, and then install Windows to D?

But if I remember correctly, when I ran my unattended install, it said C was unformatted and asked if I wanted to format C. When I said "yes", it formatted, and then installed Windows. I didn't have a chance to pick D. I think I'll try "AutoPartition=0" in my winnt.sif file.