Back button goes too far back

amoss

Hello,

I am currently having an issue with the back button, actually it happens with any click of the mouse. When ever I click it it goes back 2 pages/sites or more, not the previous one. This happens with everything internet and programs I am using. I did install IE7 and that is when I noticed it , (but have since uninstalled it). I have run the antivirus, spyware and adware removers, and still no improvement. Any suggestions?

I have XP Pro

IE6 with service pack 2

Thank you

Edited by amoss

Are you sure you are not confusing back button and previous directory "button" ? Because the go back button can be disabled, and is indeed part of internet explorer settings, which as we all know is an integral part of windows.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ComDlg32]

"NoBackButton"=dword:00000001

The back button takes you to previous directory which you were working in, not the previous directory to which u are currently in.

I know this can sound confusing, but it's just the way it is.

edit: I have address bar on my task tray/quick launch bar, if u do this registry setting you wont see the back button, which i think is annyoing, and doesnt serve any meaning in that space.

Edited by TranceEnergy

• 4 weeks later...

I expect the user has a Microsoft Mouse, probably an Intellimouse, and the issue here is likely to be the bad microswitches they used on earlier models which resulted in a second click being registered on releasing the button.

There are two fixes, one is to replace the mouse with another one, or download MouseFix from this site (scroll down to find a description of problem) http://www.danieljackson.co.uk/fun/old/

You need to extract the MouseFix.exe and MouseFixDll.dll somewhere (I used to put it at C:\MouseFix).

Run MouseFix.exe and then try your back button again. It will not go back twice.

To use permanently create a shortcut to the MouseFix.exe and place it in the Startup folder in the Start Menu.

The author originally created it for his failing Microsoft Intellimouse with the problem similar to the microsoft KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;266738

Edited by infiniti25

• 2 weeks later...