PC Locks up - Error Event ID 8003

dalangley

My PC randomly locks up during a Windows session. No matter what I am doing, Word, Games, Internet, Music. There is no correlation that can be seen between which program might cause the lock up. These lockups have been happening more frequently as of late and have happened a total of anywhere from 20-35 times in the past two weeks forcing a cold boot every time. No response from the mouse, no CTRL ALT DEL ability. Nothing. It is very frustrating.

Event ID: 8003 - Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.

Event ID: 15016 - The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer <PC Name> that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{0B8923B4-381B-492D-ABA7-ED65738FFE. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

First off let me say that I have run the Memory Diagnostics Tool which returned no errors in memory. I have updated all drivers including sound, video, and motherboard. The mobo has been flashed once already. I have done a virus scan and none were found. Temperature readings were fine so its not overheating. Dxdiag has found no problems.

Any ideas on what I could do to stop this? Any response is appreciated.

Video Card: GeForce 9600 GT

4 GB DDR3 RAM

500 GB HD

Edited by dalangley

Looks to me it has something to do with Networking/Internet stuff. Run some Network/Internet diagnostics tools to see if its something to do with that.

Try disconnecting the internet and see what happens, Like just disable the Network Adapters in your system. I'm not 100 percent sure, but sure does sound like some Network/Internet problem.

Heres some Links that could help. Google's your friend!

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...smb&phase=1

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727677.aspx

Those should help! If not, then we may have a serious problem, but more than likely it is that.

Neither of the two messages you reported should cause your computer to lock up. I doubt that either are the issue.

Where your event says "<PC NAME>" is this computer on your LAN?

Worst case would be that you wouldn't be able to access the network or internet, not lock up the computer.

Is there a server on your LAN?

There is no server on the LAN just two home pcs. I disabled the Computer Browser on the other computers Services Tab so that should stop the Master Browser error from coming up. Any other ideas on what might cause it to lock up?

Yeah you wouldent think it would Lock up... But then again its M$, you never know with them. I would get sick of it and just reinstall the OS, haha. But there is something causing a problem that makes your system lock up for reason.

Run your system Solo, see what happens? Maybe its a Error causing an Error. It can happen you know. But check the Event log around the time it got locked up.

Edited by Nerwin

I can say that when I leave the apartment to go to class when it just idles it doesnt lock up, only when im in a program or performing an action on the pc does it lockup. That being said, It only locks up when im "using" it. What exactly do you mean by "solo"?

Well I mean by not having the internet and any external devices hooked up, only you, the keyboard and mouse. I do that sometimes. But now that you said it locks up when you are using it. Thats sounds like some software problem. What programs do you have running when it locks up?

The programs vary from Word 2007, Internet Explorer, World of Warcraft, Windows Media Player. The only 4 programs I ever virtually use as a college student. One for school, information gathering, entertainment, and music. Seriously, Im at a loss for words as to what can be going wrong. And the sad thing is im a Computer Science Major :(.

Yes, unfortunately its really hard to troubleshoot this kind of thing because it could virtually be anything. When the computer locks up, when you press the power button (just once) does it start shutting down by itself? Can it go to sleep, like if its a notebook you can close it or if you have one of those keyboards with the moon button on it... OH, how much free hard drive space do you have?

Edited by Tripredacus

Hmm... Maybe it was just a stupid little moth in the computer :P See how long you can go before it locks up, also stress test it. Like run wow, other stuff and see if it locks up. It is hard to trouble shoot this.. its just narrowing it down. Trial and Error.