HP Laptop freezes after system recovery

buckdog05

I am working on a laptop that was very slow and seemed to have a rogue antivirus program on it.

I tried installing the normal scanning software, but the computer kept rebooting and freezing during the install and scan so I figured I'd just back up the data and run the HP recovery wizard to bring it back to the factory condition.

I did this, and it's faster than it was before, but every three minutes or so, everything will freeze up and it takes it a minute to unfreeze.

I tried running chkdsk (it made me restart and ran before Windows started), but it got stuck on the last step and hung at 59% for hours so I did a hard shut down and rebooted into Vista.

I am thinking that the hard drive is prob bad but wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks!

Usually problems with hard drives are "binary": 0 or 1, works or crashes.

The freezing and later unfreezing appears more like a badly configured software/service.

However, once you run chkdisk, you should run it until completion, or, if you need to shutdown the PC re-run it afterwards immediately.

Start your PC, run chkdisk, then, once it has finished it's job, start Task Manager and check which processes eat up too much CPU (and possibly cause the freezing)...

jaclaz