Copying files from disc to HD, problem

T.N.G.O.G.

I don't believe my 2 Drives are dying( one is a DVD writer , the other is a DVD Combo Drive ).

Anyways, i have no idea what is going on, but when i try to copy a file from the disc( RAR Or zip ) to my HD or External HD, the file stops at 90% or less, but never finishes.

I have something in my add and remove panel that says " Disable/remove DMA for all [E]IDE/PATA hard disks "

Is that the problem?

Also the file size which i am trying to copy is not 1GB or 2GB, its 300MB or 500MB. I was thinking the rar file could be damage, i really don't know. It doesn't happen with all of my files tho, only certain ones.

Edited by T.N.G.O.G.

stuff like that could be hardware problem too, such as the connector or the mobo failing itself, it happened to me before.

these stuff happened on my winXP system:

Copying files on HD internally works normaly,

however, when i copying files from/to other drives (usb drives, cd/dvd-rom), theres problem.

If i tried copy a file, then i compare the copied files with the original with "FC.EXE /b", i found differences!

In my cases it more likely to happen if i copied larger sized files (i.e more than 8 MB).

yeah, i even resorted to creating series of small sized .rar volumes...

after i replace the mobo (other component was intact), such copy failure doesn't happen anymore.

even now i still doesn't quite get it, why copying small files usualy done normaly, but not larger files?

I don't believe my 2 Drives are dying( one is a DVD writer , the other is a DVD Combo Drive ).

It doesn't happen with all of my files tho, only certain ones.

I gathered that the failure happens about the same way on both drives. (1) If the optical drives start changing speed and making different noises around the time the transfer stops, and it stops in about the same place each time, then you probably just have bad media. (2) If these are PATA drives then they are probably sharing a cable to the same IDE header. In that case, a bad cable, bad header, or bad BIOS configuration would affect them both equally, the place where it stops would be more random, and you can also get "transfer complete" but the data are corrupt. Big files stress the interface so are more likely to fail than small ones.