unable to clear to backup in vista ultimate

dumbo

Hi

I have a mate with Vista Ultimate on a laptop.

He started a backup using control panel -> Backup and restore -> Backup

He selected documents only

He put in dvdrw and it formatted the disc I assume to the Live File System (UDF) format

He said this is the first time he has done a backup and for some reason it appeared to start a full system backup.

He then found it asked to insert other discs which he did ....and also at various stages to insert a previously inserted disc.

It got a bit pear shaped after he had already put in 3 blank dvdrw and he rang me.

2) I looked at the paritions with a linux live dvd...and saw it had a 6G recovery partition for the Toshiba laptop

another partition of unknown purpose size about 1 Meg

and I will call it C partition about 104 G of which 34 G data were used

3) Going into Windows we could only add up about 16 G of data ....using right hand click on each folder and selecting properties

we rang Toshiba who confirmed the toshiba partiton was 6 G but as we were using a MS program to call microsoft for our main query.

So

Does anyone know after stopping a backup....how to clear it from the system so we can start again

question (2) Do system restore points get hidden from the user's file manager and would that explain the massive amount of data on this computer.

4) I am used to W98SE so my knowledge of Vista is limited but according to one calculation I did, Backup may have been trying to backup 28 G of data while linux thinks it may be 34 G

so I am completely stumped at this stage.

I did try to read the ms help section in the backup area....but it assumes you complete the backup process but I think that would have taken up to 8 dvdrw discs which of course my friend did not have.

Any tips on what to do to fix this would be appreciated

Any explanation for possible missing data/hidden files explaining the massive data would be even greater.

If not thanks for reading

cheerio