Is It Possible?

Longhair

My goal is to have all my most used programs that I install after a reformat to be on a disc/usb flash drive, all the settings configured (user name, serial number, where to install, etc.). After the fresh install of windows be able to insert it into the computer, click a set up icon and all the programs would install unattended.

If so, where / what should I start reading since I am completely new?

Well, you need to know about CMD files and applications switches.

MSFN unattended guide is a good place to start.

For what you want, the easiest way is to maintain a folder with all your setups (if you use reg files or other files, make a folder for every app) and the CMD file that will execute them.

Here is an example to get you started:

start /wait .\Install\microsoft\netfx35\dotNetFx35setup.exe /qb /norestart
start /wait .\Install\microsoft\directx\dxsetup.exe /silent
start /wait .\Install\microsoft\cpp2005.exe /Q:A /R:N
start /wait cpp2005sp1.exe /Q:A /R:N

The syntax used is for a cmd file located in the same folder as Install. The last line refers to a file in the same folder as the cmd file.

Take a look at WPI (Windows Post-Install Wizard) in this forum.

It has everything you want.

For a beginner maybe it isn't easy, but read and learn.

Once you get to know it, it's a very nice peace of 'Art' by Kel and Mritter.

Greetz

elajua - I was reading the MSFN unattended guided (http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp) a bit and for someone that has no formal (or even informal) training with computers, that site moves a bit fast after I finish the Beginning Users. I don't seem to by putting in the correct keywords in Google either because the results are even more confusing or way off topic (light switches will come up for example). Could you point me in the right direction (keywords, sites, dummy books, etc.) so I can get my head around this stuff? I've been doing CNC part programming manually so I understand the need for a logical order or else things won't work.

DJPro - Thanks for the suggestion. I've downloaded, installed and I'm not even to the point of understanding it enough to even struggle - yet. I will intergrate it with my learning process when possible because it seems like it will save time in the long run.