HDD Problem

Diddles

Hi MSFN

Im having a problem with my new 500GB SATAII Western Digital Hard Drive...

For some reason the HDD is only showing 127.99 GB (NTFS) of total capacity, when actually my HDD is 500GB in size..

I can find the rest of the HDD in the Computer Managment, under Disk Managment where the rest of the HDD is showing as Unallocated.

Can anyone help, it will be much appreciated..! :)

Im having a problem with my new 500GB SATAII Western Digital Hard Drive...

For some reason the HDD is only showing 127.99 GB (NTFS) of total capacity, when actually my HDD is 500GB in size..

I can find the rest of the HDD in the Computer Managment, under Disk Managment where the rest of the HDD is showing as Unallocated.

Can anyone help, it will be much appreciated..! :)

Some of these drives actually still have jumpers, sometimes to limit the size (stupid idea) and often to limit the speed (likely with SATA 3 Gb/s to divide by two). Doublecheck the former to be sure.

More likely is that you installed the drive into a WinXP SP0 machine? 136GB and larger drives require SP1 or later.

Less likely is that your BIOS is very old, non-LBA 48 bit, is that even possible with SATA support?

Also possible that the BIOS contains a selected legacy mode within the SATA section. Can you get into the BIOS and check?

Actually you need to supply more system information details like hardware information and steps you took to install the HDD and WinXP ...

Thanks for the reply..

Here is my spec below:

[ASUS P5E-VM HDMI Motherboard] [intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53GHz (1066MHz) Processor] [Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory] [500GB SATAII Western Digital Hard Drive] [sony Dual Layer SATA DVD±RW] [Arctic Cooling 7 Pro Processor Cooler] [500W EarthWatts PSU] [Antec Sonata III Tower Case] [19" TFT Monitor] [Windows XP Pro]

This system was a new build, which i built and installed myself...

Yes i can access the bios.

Any help would be magic..

Edited by Diddles

I think you just need to create a second partition that covers the remaining space or extend the 1st partition using a 3rd party tool (like GPartEd boot cd for instance). As stated by Charlotte, you probably created the partition with a XP SP0 system.

It doesn't matter which service pack you install, what matters is which service pack you are running at the momment you create the partition, right at the beginning of your install process.

Installing SP3 afterwards won't solve your problem, using at first an install disc that has SP1 or later included (slipstreamed) will. Now you are left with the 2 options I listed above. A 3rd option is to create a slipstream disc and reinstall your XP but that would take you much more time. Creating a 2nd partition (that would translate in a D: drive) is by far the best option.

I have Service Pack 1,2 and 3 installed..

If you actually did this (installed SP1) it is certainly the problem. That would imply that your CDROM is the so-called gold version (aka SP0 aka WinXP Professional RTM). As many have stated this should no longer be used. Either borrow a current WinXP Professional SP3 CDROM that matches yours: OEM or Retail ... or you should upgrade your CDROM by slipstreaming the SP3 package into it onto a new CDROM. Then, a fresh install would be the magic you asked for.

Also note that that SP2 and SP3 are all-inclusive, which means that SP2 contains SP1, and it also means that SP3 contains SP2 and SP1. Long story short, you only need to install SP3 on any WinXP system that is older than SP3.

If that original CDROM is not WinXP SP0, that means there is another problem altogether. What you should do now to get the best answer possible is to post back here with your exact WinXP CDROM details (describe the disc) and also relate the exact steps you took to install it and that new SATA II HDD into the computer.

you only need to install SP3 on any WinXP system that is older than SP3.

Not exactly, if the OP had a "SP0" CD, he had to install SP1 first then SP3 (this is stated on MS's site), but SP2 was indeed not required.

Reinstalling now is overkill IMHO. Having a 2nd partitions on your disc has many obvious advantages.

you only need to install SP3 on any WinXP system that is older than SP3.
Not exactly, if the OP had a "SP0" CD, he had to install SP1 first then SP3 (this is stated on MS's site), but SP2 was indeed not required.

Reinstalling now is overkill IMHO. Having a 2nd partitions on your disc has many obvious advantages.

Pretty sure that was settled a ways back, consensus including Microsoft was that:

WinXP RTM CDROM + SP3 Slipstreamed = WinXP SP3 CDROM (this is ok!)

Some dispute on whether SP3 could be applied to a live SP0 machine. In my mind that should also be ok, the only thing that might conflict is the pre 48-bit LBA setting and the earlier WPA. However, since this issue causes so many arguments among WinXP experts I am willing to take it on faith to NOT update a SP0 machine directly from the SP3 package.

That comment about the partition is very subjective really, there are countless people out here that do not want multiple partitions and drive letters. I tend to leave those decisions to the customer these days, which helps to avoid the "but I only wanted drive C: and my DVD to be on D:, can you please change it back?" ... (sigh) extra work.

I agree about re-installing being overkill though. However if he/she is only a couple of days into this install there is a lot less pain from a fresh setup. Better now than later!

@Diddles ... So that we do not confuse you any further, let me suggest to: play it safe and obtain a proper WinXP SP3 CDROM. That means (if you have a legit license key) to copy an existing WinXP SP3 Distribution CDROM from someone (but make sure that the flavor of 'OEM' or 'Retail' matches yours). If you do so you can easily re-install WinXP onto that same computer as often as you like! This has always worked for me.