Audio playing through only one speaker. . . - SOLVED

SPX

I recently purchased a Toshiba Libretto 100CT (see my other post) and everything audio-wise seems to work well, except for one thing. The Libretto only has a single speaker, however, according to the documentation it should output in 16-bit stereo when speakers are hooked up to the speaker port. Nonetheless, when I hook up either a speaker set or headphones audio comes through only one speaker. It's very irritating.

I've already looked at all the usual suspects. Toshiba doesn't offer a Win98 driver for the card, but Windows successfully detects it as a Yamaha Yamaha OPL3 SA3 and loads its own drivers. Thinking that the driver may still be the problem, however, I found another laptop which Toshiba manufactured that used the same soundcard for which they had 98 drivers. I grabbed them, loaded them, and somewhat surprisingly they worked . . . except for the fact that it was only sending audio to one speaker. I've also confirmed that "Desktop Stereo Speakers" are set in the control panel and that the balance isn't off.

I don't think it's a hardware issue, but can't be sure. Any ideas here?

Edited by SPX

Sounds like it is sending the same audio to the output jack that it sends to the internal speaker, which would normally be L+R mixed to mono. To test this -- if the balance control is set hard left or hard right and there is still output at the one audible external speaker (maybe a little less in volume), then the chipset is sending mono, and is sending it to only one side of the output jack. Theoretically you should be able to switch mono output to stereo via the Windows mixer (sndvol32.exe) depending on what controllers the OPL driver provides. If not, then the computer unfortunately wins, unless you can find a later driver with more config options.

But if on the other hand the balance control panned hard left or right does kill the audio from the one working external speaker (or severely cuts the volume) then it is a different problem. There is a stereo signal present, but one channel isn't working. The problem then is most likely the output jack itself, possibly needing nothing more than a cleaning and/or slight bending of the contacts to get a good tight connection on the stereo plug. Those mini/micro jacks sometimes need attention after they get some miles on them.

Also -- if you're using a size adapter at the output jack, of course make sure it's stereo-to-stereo .. I've goofed on that before.

Also -- just in case, I would check the Libretto's BIOS for any audio config options.

HTH

Chromatic:

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. You are right that in fact I AM using an adapter . . . apparently the Libretto jack only supports a 3/32" (2.5mm) plug and not the more common 1/8" plug. So I bought an adapter from Radio Shack but didn't pay much attention to the specs and don't have the packaging any longer either. One thing I notice, though, is that in very small print there's the letter "M" next to the female portion of the adapter. Does this mean "mono" perhaps? I can't say for sure until I get a confirmed stereo adapter . . . but I'm hoping that it is in fact this simple.

Until you get a replacement adapter, I strongly suggest you remove the speakers/headphones from the current adapter as running one channel in shortcut mode can permanently damage the audio preamplifier of the soundcard.

Next time make sure you get a stereo-to-stereo adapter.

Until you get a replacement adapter, I strongly suggest you remove the speakers/headphones from the current adapter as running one channel in shortcut mode can permanently damage the audio preamplifier of the soundcard.

Next time make sure you get a stereo-to-stereo adapter.

Okay, will do! Thanks for the advice.