icons and bmp files

starcraftmaster

For bmp, in the registry add a DefaultIcon key to the bmp filetype and set the Default string value to [%1] without the brackets. If DefaultIcon key already exists just change the Default value to [%1].

For ex. my bmp filetype is "bmpfile", and the reg key is:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bmpfile\DefaultIcon]

If "bmpfile" isn't listed, look at the .bmp extension [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp]. If there is no Default value, but only double quotes "", change it to [bmpfile] no brackets. Then add a new key to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT], name it [bmpfile] and proceed as above.

Same procedure with ico -- look at extension, locate filetype, add DefaultIcon key and [%1].

The %1 hack only works with bmp and ico. But for jpg, tif etc you can still assign different icons by adding or changing DefaultIcon key at their filetypes and point the Default string value to something like [C:\my_icons\rubber_ducky.ico] without brackets.

Sometimes if extensions are already associated with say Irfanview or whatever graphics program, you would need to create a new filetype for them. For example my jpegs have a camera icon and I had to make a new filetype key, "jpgfile" and change the .jpg extension to point to new filetype "jpgfile" instead of old filetype "Irfanview" or they would still show the Irfanview default icon.

Hope this helps .. it's simpler than it sounds.

Edited by chromatic47

hey how do u show a bmp in the the icon like before u go into the bmp file its show what it is in the icon becasue my computer only show one imeage for all of them and how can i do this with all picture files like jpg ico and more

If what you want is for each actual BMP file to show up as the icon for each actual BMP file (in Explorer, etc) yes, this is easy to do. You probably already have this behavior designated for ANI and CUR and ICO and EXE filetypes. You should also be aware that this is one of those tweaks that definitely slows down the display of a folder which contains lots of bitmaps. It would be a very good idea to first save these two keys from your registry (or just export the whole thing for safekeeping):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\BMPfile]

The reason that this is important is that BMP files might be mapped to a specific program like MS Paint or IrfanView or Photopaint rather than a generic filetype. What I am really asking is what happens when you doubleclick a BMP file? Having said all that, here is how I would do it ...

REGEDIT4

@="BMPfile"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\BMPfile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

The first part designates .bmp files as being members of a class of objects called BMPfile. Again, on your system they might already be designated something else like IrfanView.bmp for example, if so, the above patch will break your BMP opening ability!). If you want to post back with your current entry, we can easily re-design the above patch to handle your circumstance.

The second part sets the default icon for BMPfile objects as being "%1", which means whatever is contained within that object. SIDE-NOTE: I just tried it with double-quotes like I thought it should be: @=""%1"", and it did not work. Strange!

Important! In order to see these types of changes, the Explorer shell must be re-started, not just the Explorer program. You should have something like NirSoft ExploRestart handy (a shortcut to this program belongs in your QuickLaunch).

Just to repeat from above, you should post back here with your current entries for those two keys, and then registry patches to both enable and disable the bitmap icon can easily be posted.

Hopefully this is what you were asking for!

EDIT: @Chromatic47, honestly, your post wasn't there when I typed all that! Great minds ... :thumbup

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

EDIT: @Chromatic47, honestly, your post wasn't there when I typed all that! Great minds ... :thumbup

lol

Plus thanks for showing how to do it with a .reg file .. it's good knowing how to do it manually, but for setting up a new machine with many icons it gets a little tedious.

Edited by chromatic47

but i cant find bmp file

@="%1"

and the other registry i wont try since u siad it may cause probloms

There won't be any problems unless bmps are already associated with a program. To check it, look at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.bmp] and see if there is a Default string in the right side panel.

If there isn't, then .bmp isn't associated with anything (and also why you can't find BMPfile) and you can safely Merge the code that CharlotteTheHarlot posted, or do it manually as I described. (Changing [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT] will also change [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes] and vice versa.)

If there is a default string, then bmps are already associated with a program (and also you won't find BMPfile). In that case you can still get the preview icons and keep the Open behavior but it takes a different approach, basically creating the bmpfile key and adding along with DefaultIcon key, a Shell\Open\Command key pointing to the program of choice. I can describe in more detail, it's still easy to do manually and can also be done with a .reg file Merge.

Edited by chromatic47

but i cant find bmp file

@="%1"

and the other registry i wont try since u siad it may cause probloms

First, export your entire registry for safekeeping.

Then post back here with the contents of this key ...