Configure alternative mail client at work

darrelljon

How do I configure an alternative mail client at work? They use Outlook 2000 but its extremely slow on the Pentium III (128Mb RAM) machines they give us. I'd like to use i.Scribe instead, but how do I do this? I've made a note of the server address (I think) they use in Outlook. I think my username is the same as the e-mail address they've given me and presumably the password is the same too. I'm not sure if they store messages on the server as well but either way I'd like to do the same in i.Scribe mail client. What other settings do I need to use?

I managed to set up Firefox by just entering the same manual proxy server address and port number as in Explorer.

Depends upon what mail server you company is using. And how they have it configured. If they are using exchange, you may be stuck as it could be set up to only allow outlook to connect.

I personally have not used i.scribe but these are the settings you typically need to set up the majority of mail clients.

Otherwise you need:

incoming Server Name, Port & Security setting, i.e. SSL

User Name (usually the portion before the @mycomp.com)

outgoing server name, port & Security setting, i.e. SSL

Email address.

Actually, just noticed I'm using Outlook 2003.

In Tools > E-mail Accounts > it says Microsoft Exchange Server. They probably will have left it as close to default as possible in terms of letting other mail clients access it. Dunno what the default is though.

I can click Change > Next > then it has Microsoft Exchange Server and the address. ****.admin.ad.*****.**.uk

Then it has my username below (is there a way to check what username Outlook and Explorer are using?). Though I assume I will be using my network password too.

In More Settings > Security it has Logon Network Security: Password Authentication Security (NTLM).

I assume the incoming and outgoing will be the same server name.

I could try the same port number I used to let Firefox access the net.

Dunno how to find out what security setting I need to use???

Edited by darrelljon