Run XP in performance mode or in slow mode

Hi,

At the moment I have quite a few items in my startup which appear near my clock. Sometimes these are useful but other times they really drag on my already low resources as my PC aint too fast to say the least. Most of the time when my system starts I end up right clicking most of them and closing the apps. But sometimes I want them to run. This closing of them is very time consuming but necesarry if I need to do things that require a bit more gogo juice. Such as photo and video Editing.

I know that I can get into the system configuration editor by typing msconfig into run and that I can selective start up each device. Also from here I can see the startup directories and startup command lines for all the apps I right click and close. Which drops in useful to help me find what commands need to stopped and started or run or terminated.

What I want to do is have 2 batch files on my desktop.

:thumbup Batch1 todo the same job that I manually do when I right click and close those hungry apps. I could call this performance.bat

:hello: Batch2 todo the same job as the startup already does and litterally start them back up again. I could call this restartup.bat or nonperformance.bat

This way I would have a lot more control. I could easily disable these apps in sysconfig utility and just run batch2 if I wanted them to run. Otherwise I can leave my system as it is but have the flexability to auto shutdown and restart at the click of a batch file. Giving me a performance mode PC or a more useful but slower system.

With a bit of fiddling I probably could work our how to do batch2 and get them up and running again but I would not have a clue how to write a batch file to close apps down. A little jogging of the memory with commands and syntax would also be great if there are any batch writing pros out there.

Also my daughter has just got a new laptop but only 1GB RAM running Vista and things like the sidebar and lots more are slowing it right down. I would liek to write these 2 batch files for her too.

Thanks to any contributions

Matt