Slow recovery when moving boxes

paullyboy

Sorry, but I couldn't think of a better way to title this thread. I recently installed XP Home on an Acer Extensa 5620Z laptop w/

Intel Pentium dual-core @ 1.75 MHz, IE6 and SP3. When I drag anything(like a minimized window box) across the desktop with the mouse, it's very jittery, and briefly shows the underlying box's images. If I do a quick drag of the box, any underlying graphics(like desktop icons) go blank where the box was, and do not reappear until drag stops. I've noticed this when scrolling lists when online. Is there a way to quicken the refresh rate in XP? Is this a problem with the video driver? Thanks in advance.

[best, Paul

Edited by paullyboy

You say you "installed" XP Home; was it an Acer "Recovery" process or did you use a standard MS XP disc ? If not recovery, did you install any video drivers at all ? (from the pictures it seems you have).

You say you "installed" XP Home; was it an Acer "Recovery" process or did you use a standard MS XP disc ? If not recovery, did you install any video drivers at all ? (from the pictures it seems you have).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hey Ponch. Thanks for the getback. The Acer came with Vista but I like XP way more, so I changed back. XP is from a new, registered MS XP Home disk and is loaded to a new WD hard drive.. same model/type that Vista was loaded on. IOW, it's a legal disk on a virgin hard drive.

The only drivers I've installed so far are an audio driver(Realtek) and an Ethernet driver. Both were Acer downloads. The refresh is so slow it's really annoying. This is my 4th computer with XP, and never had this problem before. FWIW, here's a list of what's currently loaded:

Device Manager>

Sound, video and game controllers>

Video Codecs>

General(tab)>

Manufacturer (standard system services)

Properties>

iccvid.dll

Indeo video 5.10

ir32_32.dll

ir41_32.ax

iyuv_32.dll

LEAD MCMP/MJPG Codec(VFW)

msh261

msh263

msrle32.dll

msvidc32.dll

msyuv.dll

tsbyuv.dll

Best, Paul

Edited by paullyboy

Yeah, I think you just got lucky before with your xp cd where it may have contained the video drivers. Apparently for this one it didn't pick it up. Like he said you'd have to install the drivers, but just to note, in device manager, you may have a lot of yellow question marks and exclamation marks. You'll have to install those drivers as well so you don't get problems in the future.

Thanks guys. Just to clarify, I bought the last 3 XP computers with everything pre-installed. On this one(the 4th), I'm using an off-the-shelf MS XP disk. Everything else seem to work fine.

Under Device Manager>Other Devices, there are 7-8 tags, and every one has a yellow question mark. The Video Driver tag says it has no driver installed. The OS must have a driver of some sort cause video works, just slow recovery on drags or page up/down thru lists.. not like normal. I found 2 possible drivers on the Acer site:

* Intel VGA Driver Ver. 6.14.10.4820

* TI Card Reader Driver Ver. 2.0.0.7

Do either of those look like what I need? I tried to find the video card type, but couldn't. Please bear with me here. You're dealing with a real chimp when it comes to this sort of thing :blushing: . Thanks again.

Best, Paul