usb update

rfwoodwork

I, hope this is the right forum for this question? I looked in device manager and under usb I couldn't tell if it had the the usb 2.0 EHCI controller, all it said was universal serial bus controller. Can I update it to the usb 2.0 ehci controller, and can I download it and where?

You cannot make a USB 1.1 controller into a USB 2.0 controller by using software. That is determined by the hardware itself. I wouldn't worry about what name Windows has for it in Device Manager, just as long as it works properly.

The drivers for USB Controllers are in Windows. So if you want a newer driver, install the latest service pack. But honestly, USB Drivers haven't changed much except for bugfixes in certain situations.

The sure-fire bet to see if it is a USB 2.0 Controller is to plug a USB Disk Drive (UFD, Jump Drive, Dongle, whatever) into it, or a Camera, and see if it says "This Device Can Perform Faster". If you get that message, it isn't USB 2.0. If you don't get that message, unless you have an older device, it should be.

There are exceptions, for example, the Asus EEE PC says their ports are USB 2.0 when in fact they have USB 2.0 controllers but the ports actually run at 1.1 speeds.