Restore "AGP Filters"? - No display device listed AT ALL

Volatus

Hey all,

I've got myself in a bit of a pickle. I just nLitened a XP install for a 650MHz Pentium-III laptop with 128mb RAM. I had to strip a lot out, particularly in the services and OS options department. So far so good, the computer runs great, except for one problem I'd been headdesking for several hours... there is absolutely NO listing for a display adapter at ALL on that computer. No "unknown device", no "!" device, no nothing - at ALL. It was as if it didn't even identify itself on the PCI bus. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Obviously I couldn't install drivers for a nonexistent device. So I installed the remaining drivers (sound, touchpad, system control, jog wheel) expecting something to pop up. Nothing.

I put the computer to rest for the night, to sleep on it. Googling hinted at a possible problem here on MSFN. I seem to have made a slip of the finger and got "AGP filters" checked and removed from hardware support. Man, I cannot express how much I wish someone could do some work on a "de-nLite" program that can reinstall removed components post-setup. It should be quite simple since they were just omitted from the Setup process (and can be re-run), but I digress.

The hard drive in this laptop (a Sony Vaio Z505 ultra-slim) is embedded in the laptop. It cannot boot from USB or CD-ROM (CD-ROM is external PCMCIA). I have no floppies for the USB floppy drive. The only way to install Windows is to use the WinSetupFromUSB GUI, and put the setup files directly on the hard drive, then install from-to the same drive. It works, and it works quite well. But it is EEEEHM FREAKING POSSIBLE to get that hard drive out. I have to literally tear the computer down to the motherboard. I would really, really like to avoid doing that just to restore AGP functionality.

What files do removing "AGP filters" change or remove...?

Well, I found the quick and easy solution that worked like a dream... :)

Copied the original "machine.inf" (extracted from machine.in_) from the source disk to the desktop. Updated the driver for "PCI to PCI bridge" and pointed the search to the desktop. It asked for AGP440.SYS and I extracted it from the latest SP*.cab (in my case SP3.cab). It asked for a restart, and immediately after restarting, it already had the display driver ready and rolling. Woohoo!

For future reference, I guess.

• 6 months later...

B4rT, please note that Volatus has been banned, for what reason I have no clue. If you need help, describe your problem and, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. It would be best if you opened a new topic. Enjoy, John.