XP SP3 slipstream using 32 bit Vista invalid cd key

hoehne

Like many others out there, I am trying to use a second computer to create a slipstreamed XP install disk.

The computer I am running nlite from is a new laptop with Vista 32bit home. My XP CD is a purchased CD and is the SP1 version and I have slipstreamed time and again to add SP2 and post SP2 updates. I have even in the past slipstream SP3 RC on the disk and had a successful install, but all of these previous attempts were done using nlite and running on the XP machine I was updating. So there is no question my key is valid.

I have run nlite from Vista in the Win XP SP2 compatibility mode as well. The end result is that I am told my CD key is not valid with is not true.

My nlite install begins with importing the XP cd using nlite. Slipstreaming SP3 on the disk. Closing nlite and using the WMP11 slipstream too to put media player 11 in the install. Restart nlite and put several update packs and Addons including IE7 and others from RyanVM website. I add my user account info and make some basic tweaks for how things look, but do not remove or disable any components. I also add in the drivers for Raid, IDE, motherboard, printer, etc.

I write all this out to an ISO using nlite, transfer the ISO to my desktop and run VMWare virtual machine to try it out using the iso as the boot CD rom.

Four attempts have been made, no success yet. Originally I just ran nlite and did not use the XP SP2 compatibility mode. I tried this twice before seeing that I should do this. Then I ran it in that mode, no success. I then put the WMP11 slipstreamer in the XP SP2 compatibilty mode as well and still nothing.

Some people have updated to SP2 first then SP3. OThers say not to do that. How do you make this work because the searches I have done have not provided the answer or information I need.

Well since you can't make it work, install Windows XP into VMWare and do slipstream of SP3 under VMWare an then always keep that copy with SP3 only. Also, one advice: Try to avoid using nLite multiple times on same install. Try to do everything using nLite just once. You can do that by copying main executable of boooggy Wmp11 Slipstreamer to nLite folder. Then add WMP11 and relevant hotfixes to nLite integration page and nLite will automatically use WMP11 slipstreamer to slipstream WMP11.

Cheers ;)

hoehne,

I agree with mara-, you are asking for trouble nLiteing the same source more than once. I think several people have had trouble with their keys after doing this. nLite (1.4.9.1) will automatically detect WMP11 and run the slipstreamer. So just add WMP11 as a hot fix in nLite. You should be able to do all you need to in the same session. Definitely do not install SP2 then SP3.

Please try it and let us know how it goes on Vista.

Enjoy, John.

hoehne,

I agree with mara-, you are asking for trouble nLiteing the same source more than once. I think several people have had trouble with their keys after doing this. nLite (1.4.9.1) will automatically detect WMP11 and run the slipstreamer. So just add WMP11 as a hot fix in nLite. You should be able to do all you need to in the same session. Definitely do not install SP2 then SP3.

Please try it and let us know how it goes on Vista.

Enjoy, John.

I disagree. I found installing all your addon packs and stuff like that in one season of nlite causes problems. I have had so many bad installs by doing everything at once. Plus then if one addon gives an error, then you have to go through the process of tryying to figure out which addon it was cause you did everything at once. What I tend to do, is do one addon, test using VMware, make sure its a good install, then going onto the next addon. Less problems over all for me doing stuff this way in my year of experance doing this stuff. To each their own I guess.

Spontaneous,

I agree. One should do what works for them. I am reflecting what I have read many times in this forum and a few bad experiences I have had (such as missing Quick Launch folder).

Enjoy, John

I tried things again.

This time I did one nlite session. slipstreamed SP3 in, then did the driver and addon packs as well as WMP11 directly from nlite.

Still invalid CD key.

This is frustrating as hell as I just don't know enough about this stuff to know why it won't work from a Vista machine.

Any other suggestions?

• 2 months later...

I am having this exact same problem too.

I installed nLite on my Vista x64 PC and slipstreamed SP3, IE7, and WMP 11 into my copy of XP Home Edition.

I didn't try to install any drivers or remove components, but when I try to install the slipstreamed copy of XP, it tells me that the CD key is invalid.

Finally, I used HFSLIP, and that worked fine (although it is much harder to use).