Changing Operating Systems

paullyboy

I know it's been covered elsewhere, but I can't find this situation.

I have an Acer Extensa 5620 laptop with Intel 64 bit processor and Vista Home Premium. I'm ready to pull the Sata hard drive and do a fresh install of XP Home with a new Sata drive, saving the Vista drive 'just in case'. There are bound to be problems, and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and what problems have been encountered.. specifically missing drivers. Acer is absolutely no help at all. Thanks in advance.

Best, Paul

Biggest issue if finding all of the drivers. You are usually better of going back to the chip manufacturers if possible and getting the drivers from them than trying to find them on Acer's website.

Though the driverpacks can also help with this alot.

see driverpacks.net

They are a collection of XP 32-bit drivers covering most hardware in most computers. They can be integrated into your install media or you can use a utility to install them post OS install, driverforge is just one of many such tools and it and some of the others are available her in the Device Drivers forum.

Biggest concern is getting past bios and getting XP actually on the desktop in any form.
That should be no problem at all. If the installation XP CD doesn´t "see" the hard disk you have to turn AHCI off in the BIOS and you are ready to go. The laptop has an Intel chipset and drivers will be not the problem. The biggest fuzz always with laptops is the extra software that comes with it to activate the "extra buttons" and your nightmare will be the wireless drivers. We can help you if you ask ;).

By the way, why ditch Vista and go with XP?

Thanks guys. Some really great info. I feel a little more secure now.

By the way, why ditch Vista and go with XP?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Several reasons. Like everyone else that has jumped ship, I just got tired of nasty surprises just when you really don't want them. Then doing 10 cryptic steps to fix the same problem(s) that took one step in XP. It doesn't do anything that XP can't(at least in my case), and you've gotta feel comfortable. XP works when I need it to.

The biggest reason is Vista 64 bit won't run the old DOS programs that I really need and depend on for personal record keeping. Short of going with yet another download of bloatware like Virtualizer to run DOS executables, it's easier just to chuck the whole OS. I've only had the laptop for a couple months, but it took maybe a day or two to realize that this day was coming :} .

Again thanks. This is a great forum.

Best, Paul