Image Reboots continually after deployment

sdub

I'm actually in the process of updating my guide, and had just added a link to that version, but have not yet had a chance to test it. Hopefully later today I will be able to and we can see if it is possibly a WAIK version issue, or issue with an update.

Well I'm glad I'm not crazy! It seems like any time I designate any MSD or OEM PNP drivers it will cause a BSOD when using WIM, even though Ghost works fine. I have been creating dozens of images with different nuances to try and isolate the cause. So far no luck. I am using a very plain build at this point.

The WAIK I have is based on vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img. Where can I get the latest version?

Looking forward to seeing the new guide on ImageX.

The version that is listed and linked in the guide I know has worked in the past. As recently as a month and a half ago. Now XP updates have come out since then so that could have changed. I have not tested yet with 6001.18000 which I believe is the latest version. This is the version I am using while updating the guide so hopefully later today or early tomorrow I will be finished with both the guide and the testing and have an answer as to it working with this version or having problems.

Has the version and process in the guide been tested with any mass storage or other oem pnp drivers? I have found the wim image to consistently fail after running through the sysprep mini-setup wizard when either of these exists in the sysprep.inf. However, the same image works fine when using Ghost. Also, when using ImageX and not including the mass storage or oem pnp drivers in the sysprep.inf, the image boots correctly.

Could this be a case where we need to modify the exclusion list? I'm going to try to not exclude any files and see what happens. Not sure what other implications this may have....

The reboot is actually a blue screen that reads UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE message. Could it be the diskpart routine that I'm running? This is what I'm using to prepare the drive:

select disk 0
clean
create part pri
select part 1
active
assign letter=c:
format fs=ntfs label="CDRIVE" quick
exit

Knew I had this information somewhere. Try this before you partition you drive.

1. Launch regedit

2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\VDS\ALIGNMENT

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD value.

4. Type LessThan4GB as the new entry name.

5. Right-click LessThan4GB, and then click Modify.

6. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, click Decimal.

7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

8. Repeat steps 3 through 7 to add the following registry entries:

• Between4_8GB

• Between8_32GB

• GreaterThan32GB

Each registry entry must have a value of 0.

9. Exit Registry Editor.

now partition, format and deploy your image and see if this helps.

I've also finished updating my guide and used both the current and the last version of the WAIK in my testing of the document and had no problems with deploying the image. No changes where made to the how to make and deploy other than additions.

A co-worker is proof reading and testing to make sure I didn't miss anything and it should be posted later next week when he is done.

That was it! Thank you so much for your help. This has been driving me crazy for about three weeks now. I used the following reg file to streamline the set up. It should be noted that this needs to be part of the Windows PE environment before the diskpart is run.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Settings for Windows XP, 2000 and 2003
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds\Alignment]
@="Alignment Settings in Bytes"
"Between4_8GB"=dword:00000000
"Between8_32GB"=dword:00000000
"GreaterThan32GB"=dword:00000000
"LessThan4GB"=dword:00000000