What is an sntl added to a computer name in WINS?

microtcpip

Hello everyone!

Thank you for reading my post. Today I have found a hand full of PC's name repeated in WINS with the sntl added so Lawone will have a repeat entry but looking like sntl_lawone. Both entries have the same IP address.... Could anyone tell me what does are? Also, I have something else going on which I am not sure if it is related to the sntl name scheme... My network consist of two Windows 2003 servers and about a dozen PCs. One server registers find in WINS and can see all PCs using the Network neighborhood window, the other server (which has 2 NICs for redundancy) only registers one of the Nics in WINS and does not see any of the PCs in network neighborhood; I will call these last server server 2. Server one can see all PCs but cannot see server two in network neighborhood.... very strange! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Steven :wacko:

Thank you for your reply!

I have this network setup for about 2 years, so Why would this started to happen now? Also, the sntl is added to a hand full of computers names that are already present, repeating the entry. So, computerone becomes sntl_computerone, Why is this the case? What problems is this creating? Any ideas?

Enjoy your day,

Steven

• 11 months later...