Installing Vista Upgrade Editition

gotenks98

I remember a while back there was talk of the upgrade option that lets you zap the previous OS so that can install vista. But your serial will only work if you started your installation inside of windows. This is great and all but I dont want to have to go thru the hassle of installing a previous version of windows every time I want to reformat the system I am upgrading. I was wondering could you start the installation from inside of a windows PE environment like Vista PE and that still count for the use of your serial? If so then this works well for me then because it only takes a few seconds to load that disc as opposed to doing a full install of windows.

If you mean upgrading from say XP to Vista then there are certain roads that you must follow. Others proably know the specifics but XP Home can only upgrade to say Vista Home or Premium. Where as XP Pro I believe only goes to Vista Business, Enterprise or Ultimate. Could be wrong, but I was able to do my upgrade by booting into the upgrade disc. Mostly because everytime I tried it while Windows was already started it screwed something up badly.

If you mean upgrading Vista from one version to another if I recall correctly you simply need to put your CD back in or download the OS upgrades after paying MS some cash for the upgrade.