lost option to do a repair install when using winnt.sif

I recently found out about unattended install cd's and I think they are great. thumbup.gif

The only problem is if I use WINNT.SIF to supply answers for the install screens I no longer have the option to do a repair install. I thought that if I did a "UnattendMode=ProvideDefault" instead of a "UnattendMode=FullUnattended" that would give me back the option of doing a repair install when it was needed. Unfourtunately that didn't work either.mad.gif

Does anyone know how I can supply the information such as time zone, CD key, and keyboard layout to the install and still retain the option to do a repair install?

Black Beard

I am not 100% sure about this but you can use ref.chm file to see info for all answer files.

from the xp cd, go to SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB and extract the .cab file

you will have ref.chm there and setupmgr.exe for unattended installs.

Hope this helps.

I am not 100% sure about this but you can use ref.chm file to see info for all answer files.

from the xp cd, go to SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB and extract the .cab file

you will have ref.chm there and setupmgr.exe for unattended installs.

Hope this helps.

I've already looked through the ref.chm file and didn't see any mention of the fact that the repair option would be lost when using the WINNT.SIF answer file. I really like the convenience of using an answer file to supply the information needed to the install process but the ability to do a repair install is critical also.

I guess I'll need to create two cd's. One unattended for fresh installs and another to do repair installs.realmad.gif

Black Beard

Using those options is the same as using nLite to create the unattended section of the install, you could try Prompt Repair option in the answer and see if that does the trick.

Hope this helps :D

Stoner81.

Thanks for the reply.

What is the 'prompt repair' option and where would I find information about it? I don't use nLite.

I looked in the ref.chm file but couldn't find any mention of 'prompt repair'.

Black Beard

The short answer is you can't you an answer file and have the repair option.

The longer answer is you can create a dual boot CD that would give you both options, an UA install and the repair option. Or you could use something like nLite to set up the work around. There are numerous post here about the dual boot option.

The short answer is you can't you an answer file and have the repair option.

The longer answer is you can create a dual boot CD that would give you both options, an UA install and the repair option. Or you could use something like nLite to set up the work around. There are numerous post here about the dual boot option.

Thanks! I'll have to check out the dual boot CD option.

Black Beard

I've already looked through the ref.chm file and didn't see any mention of the fact that the repair option would be lost when using the WINNT.SIF answer file.

Black Beard

Did you look at the oobeinfo.ini answer file?

You can put some things into that answer file too.