Having problem with formating hard drive

kill_city

Right guys. I decide to check out Vista finally,installed it on separate Hard Drive,worked perfectly so i decided to leave it. Problem is i cant format Hard Drive with XP when i go to Computer Management n try to format is gives me error "WINDOWS CANNOT FORMAT THE SYSTEM VOLUME ON THE DISK' so im confused. and another think by accinet i made both my hardrives DYNAMIC,how can i change them back to Basic.

thanls in advance!

So you set your machine up as a dual boot system? Left the XP drive in as the primary drive, installed the second drive and in stalled Vista, which is drive D: in either os? If this is the case then you will not be able to format c: as the boot information for Vista is contained on this drive.

you could use third party app and format offline (like bartpe or partition magic boot floppy - who had this anymore?) but you won't be able to boot either xp or vista and boot info for both os's are in your first drive and first primary active partition.

but really, in order to get a clear picture of your system setup, you need to tell us if you have xp/vista dual boot, where each one is installed and how are the drive letters assignments when you boot the two os's.