How are these tweaks?

glassvial

Let me know how I'm doing so far.

:thumbup

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum. :hello: The thing is, we can't know how you're doing if we don't have your machine in front of us and don't know your usage patterns/needs. However, from just casually reading your ini, I can see you're pretty trigger-happy on hardware ;) which may, or may not be a good thing by itself; but check if you get question marks in device manager; checking this in virtual machine doesn't work because it's presenting itself to Windows as totally different hardware and components. You need to test it on actual hardware (and I've seen many unexpected surprises).

Otherwise, tweaks are as good as you need them - every person has different opinion on them; and also I would remove some more services - but that's just me. :ph34r:

Experimenting is essential with nLite to find your sweet spot - unfortunately, it's also difficult because you have to start from scratch every time.

GL

Thanks for the feedback :)

This is a pretty "rough" tweak, I know it probably needs more polish, but I have done some experimentation already, and found a few things that, if removed, windows won't even install, even though I don't have that hardware at all (go figure).

I don't expect to go as far as the thread where the posters got it down to 40MB of ram (and less) those tweaks make the OS pretty much unusable for practical purposes (but great for game-only boxes).

The hardware is largely inconsequential. Anything that throws a ! in device manager I load the proper driver for (on a real box, not a virtual box) ... the virtual box is just for quick load testing. Chipset driver is a pretty big one, once you have that loaded, the rest usually falls into place. I'm working on some new hardware now with this experimental build, and the only missing drivers have been the network, sound, and video after loading the chipset drivers. Easily handled :)

I prefer more to disable services when I can than completely remove them, that way you have the option to turn them on again if need be.

Having said that, what other services do you think should be disabled?

About the hardware: some cheap devices (yeah I use cheap devices :o ) have such drivers that rely on OS features to install/work. Or not so cheap. And you don't know what you'll buy in few month's time.

Services: I knew you'd ask. :) Let's see... these are what I consider useless for MY home use:

Alerter
Beep Driver
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Error Reporting
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
Indexing Service
Messenger
Network DDE
Performance Logs and Alerts
QoS RSVP
Quality of Service (QoS)
Remote Registry
Removable Storage
RPC Locator
Secondary Logon
Service Advertising Protocol
Simple TCP/IP Services
System Monitor
Telnet
Terminal Services
Text Services Framework
Volume Shadow Copy
Windows Time

(And this is very conservative for me). :angel

True, some of them can be useful/needed, but for me I get more benefit from removing them than from using them. :)

GL

Looks like we largely share a lot of the same ideas on those services, you only have a few that I didn't disable already :)

Yeah, I don't know ANY normal everyday good usage of these services (most of them) and I personally delete many many more, but didn't want to give dangerous advice. :) Some people get crazy when system restore is disabled, and it may be useful for them, but I know how to recover from most of situations, and SR never did anything for me that I couldn't do myself. :whistle:

And I've learned some dependencies the hard way - when something didn't work months after the installation, and the number of installed programs has already built up to make a reinstall very tedious task... :whistle: Now THAT's when you start kicking yourself. ;)

And yet it's always tempting to delete one more service or component for the (often imagined) speedup or decrease of bloat :sneaky: - that's both curse and beauty of nLite. :wub:

GL

About both QoS services not needed in your opinion, in unattended\network settings the button enable IP config unmark those services.

It's possible, I guess that would be a feature of nLite. I haven't used unattended network settings much - out of (superstitious) fear that something could go wrong - I transport my computer all the time and connect it to different networks.

glassvial - maybe later, I plan to write something like a guide (mostly to explain some components to unexperienced users and my opinion if they are needed or not for some task - which might or might not be true or complete), but I don't have free time this month (overwhelmed with work). Not to mention I'm a little rusty - haven't nLited in a couple of weeks. :P

GL