Rdpclip.exe does not start

Guillaume

Whenever I initiate a remote desktop connection, Windows will not start rdpclip.exe on the host system, needed for sharing the clipboard. This is where rdpclip comes in (registry):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\AddIns\Clip Redirector]
"Name"="RDPClip"
"Type"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\SysProcs]
"rdpclip.exe"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Wds\rdpwd]
"StartupPrograms"="rdpclip"

See .INI attached. Can anyone be of assistance here?

Athlon_2008_v2.5.ini

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Guillaume, first I need to say that responses in this forum are provided my people wishing to contribute (almost all are users as you and I are) and are not "pretty crappy", but based on their knowledge and experience. Most of the users, I suspect, do not use Remote Desktop and therefore are unfamiliar with what it requires. I certainly fall into this definition, but I would like to help if possible. I suspect, of course, that you have removed something RDT requires. The bad news is that once something is removed, others have posted that it is almost impossible to get back without doing a re-install. So if you are willing to rerun nLite and start adding some stuff back into your ISO, we may be able yo get your RDT back. I looked, briefly, at Black Viper's site and it seems remote cut/paste requires clipsrv.exe to run. I suggest you look at his site for all the other services he says need to be running to get RDT to work. If some are missing, you will probably need to rerun nLite. If they are present but not running or in the proper state, then try getting them in the proper state and see if RDT works. Let us know what you learn. And now my standard inculcation: If your latest Last Session is different from the one you posted, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

Easy there, you misunderstood me now! :) I just said I found it 'pretty crappy' that I didn't fix it yet.

I checked Viper's site, and it doesn't state explicitly that rdpclip needs clipsrv (rdpclip is mentioned nowhere on the site), but from the description of clipsrv it does seem plausible (that's why I asked in my previous post).

What I do know is that clipsrv (ClipBook) is not necessary for rdpclip to work: I currently just start it when I boot the system.

Concerning memory usage: I saw that rdpclip uses only 2,480KB, while according to Viper the ClipBook service uses 1.3MB. BUT it's set to manual normally, so it won't run until needed (which presumably will be when I initiate an RDP session, in order to start rdpclip?).

Last session.ini is up-to-date.

Guillaume, OK, I'll be easy. I used Black Viper's site and his .reg files to tweak my nLite ISO and in the process tried to learn something about services. I suspect that some services in Manual will be started when needed and some will not. Perhaps if the needing service expects the needed service to be in Automatic and started, it will not start it. If it is Stopped (if in Manual and not started otherwise) the needing service fails to start. In a quick search of BV's stuff (I emphasize quick), I think these service may be needed:

mnmsrvc
TapiSrv
PlugPlay
RasAuto
RasMan
RDSessMgr

Perhaps this can serve as a starting point for you. I found that both RasAuto and RasMan were needed to allow my VM to communicate with my host. Please see if these services are in his Default state and if not put them there and see if RDT works. If some are missing, do all that are there and observe. I just noticed that I referred you to BV's XP x64 page (because that is what I am running) and you are running XP 32 bit. When looking at his site consult the XP page. If you have to go back to start, I suggest you get a virtual system (VirtualPC, VirtualBox, VMware Server - all free) to do this testing. It will allow you to use ISO files and burn no CDs. I can install XP x64 on my VMware Server in less than 15 minutes. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

• 4 weeks later...

After a re-install with the only difference being the following components left in the installation, all works fine (before, I got DCOM error 10000 events as well):

RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call)

Logon Notifications

Still don't know exactly what Logon Notifications does, but my guess is definitely that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service was is the one responsible for the automatic starting of processes such as rdpclip.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Guillaume