service packs

hello, i am making a nlited windows xp pro cd and i have a question about service packs

i read that it's better to slipstream sp3 into a rtm source

and i always knew service packs were cumulative

but i've just made a couple tests and found files which arent updates by later sp's:

files which are updates by SP1a but not later packs:

mindex.dll

msisam11.dll

msuni11.dll

oschoice.exe

wmidx.ocx

wmmfilt.dll

wmmres.dll

wmmutil.dll

wmpstub.exe

wmpvis.dll

wmv8dmod.dll

files that are updates by SP2 but not by SP3:

guitrn_a.dll

migism_a.dll

migwiz_a.exe

msrdp.cab

mstsc.chm

mstsc.exe

mstscax.dll

rdsktpw.chm

script_a.dll

sysmod_a.dll

tscupgrd.exe

xptht41w.htm

all of these are in XPCD\i386

there are also few others, but they're not important (preinstalled ati drivers, and a couple of .inf whose compressed version is different)

why are these files out of SP2 and SP3? are they not used anymore?

thanks

Okay...thanks..but i have to slipstream sp1 or 2 first...Am I right?

hey, that's what i was asking in the first place!

the guides say to slipstream only the latest service pack, that is sp3 on a rtm xp (with no packs)

but i found the differences i posted above, just dont know if they're important or not

Come on, guys...

As you can read by doing a single 2 secs. google/forum search, then SP3, as well as all previous SP's are cumulative for slipstreaming(SP3 isn't cumulative for regular installs however, and needs SP1+), which then obviously means that the diffs aren't relevant, as else it wouldn't be cumulative anymore...

As I understand I have to slipstream SP1+ or SP2 first and then SP3 after this. I can't slipstream SP3 directly to my XPCD without one of the others???

no, you just take the clean xp cd and slipstream ONLY SP3

Come on, guys...

As you can read by doing a single 2 secs. google/forum search, then SP3, as well as all previous SP's are cumulative for slipstreaming(SP3 isn't cumulative for regular installs however, and needs SP1+), which then obviously means that the diffs aren't relevant, as else it wouldn't be cumulative anymore...

sure i'm able to search by myself, just thought on this forum i would have found someone knowing more than just "diffs aren't relevant"

you know, just like "mstsc.ex_ isnt upgraded by sp3, but actually the installed mstsc.exe is updated to 6.1 by means of ..."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...