Black screen of death

okera

Hello,

I just can't understand what happened. My laptop was working perfectly until this morning. I turned it on and checked my e-mail everything was working fine then I went jogging. When I came back the monitor was black and I couldn't do anything. I removed the battery in order to turn the laptop off and then tried to restart. Same black screen appeared :ph34r: I can't do absolutely anything. Can someone help me, please? I am supposed to sail off on Monday and if I can't use my laptop it will be really sad for me.

Btw it's HP Pavilion dv9270us, Centrino Duo, GF GO7600, 2GB, running on Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1

Thank you MSFN in advance and sorry for my english.

Edited by okera

Talk us through the boot process, at what point does it fail?

Thanks

In the very beginning. When I press the power on button the pc turns on but the screen remains black (lit but black) no letters, no symbols or anything. I'm starting to think that the video card is f***** up.

This issue occurred when I was away and the laptop was in screen saver mode (Windows Energy ss).

In the very beginning. When I press the power on button the pc turns on but the screen remains black (lit but black) no letters, no symbols or anything. I'm starting to think that the video card is f***** up.

This issue occurred when I was away and the laptop was in screen saver mode (Windows Energy ss).

It may also be the screen.

Can you try using it with an external display?

I would check that first thing.

(I have seen laptops that "by magic" redirected output to external VGA only)

jaclaz

It may also be the screen.

Can you try using it with an external display?

I would check that first thing.

(I have seen laptops that "by magic" redirected output to external VGA only)

jaclaz

I tried that and this is what happened:

When I power it on those nasty vertical lines appeared. I went safe mode I tried to reach the restore center but it stopped responding. So I guess I need a new video adapter ?

I tried that and this is what happened:

When I power it on those nasty vertical lines appeared. I went safe mode I tried to reach the restore center but it stopped responding. So I guess I need a new video adapter ?

I wonder how do you expect me to have an idea of how "those nasty vertical lines" look like. :unsure:

How did you manage to get to "safe mode" (whatever it is) if you have either a black screen or "those nasty vertical lines"?

Can you get to the BIOS? (usually is pressing DEL or one of the Fn keys while booting)

Have you got a Boot CD of some kind?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I wonder how do you expect me to have an idea of how "those nasty vertical lines" look like. :unsure:

How did you manage to get to "safe mode" (whatever it is) if you have either a black screen or "those nasty vertical lines"?

Can you get to the BIOS? (usually is pressing DEL or one of the Fn keys while booting)

Have you got a Boot CD of some kind?

jaclaz

safemode.jpg

Yes, I can get to BIOS.

Yes, I have Boot CD.

Well, try entering BIOS, do the same lines appear?

If yes, something in hardware is "gone beserk", if not it is a driver (software) problem in your Vista install.

What happens if you toggle between "Internal only/External only/Both" (or similar) settings about Video output in BIOS?

Try booting from CD a non graphical OS, like Recovery Console or DOS, and see if the display "behaves" or not.

jaclaz

Well, try entering BIOS, do the same lines appear?

If yes, something in hardware is "gone beserk", if not it is a driver (software) problem in your Vista install.

What happens if you toggle between "Internal only/External only/Both" (or similar) settings about Video output in BIOS?

Try booting from CD a non graphical OS, like Recovery Console or DOS, and see if the display "behaves" or not.

jaclaz

The vertical lines appear in BIOS, same lines appear even if I boot from a Recovery CD. Video card?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same exact issue on my dv9335nr

Intel C2Duo, go7600, 2GB Ram etc...

there is a recall for a free repair regarding this issue, they even extend the warranty to 2 years

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01087277

unfortunately to us... it only applies to AMD equipped notebooks =(

they refuse to repair Intel motherboards (at least for free)