Password Encyption

p90

Hi,

immo NLite saves the passwords for unattended Setup in cleartext.

Is it possible to use the "encyptet password" feature of windows xp meaning that the admin and any other password is safed encyptet or hashed s you cannot get it from the winnt.sif or any other file on the cd?

AFAIK if you manually create a winnt.sif you have this option, but what about nlite? Is this possible with it or not? And if not, will it be added any time soon?

With best regards

p90

I'd create a package that overwrites the winnt.sif file on disk, as nLite handles addons last i belive. Either that or make a winnt.sif file, bootstrap it somehow into the OS during the hotfix installation time and go. Hotfixes are installed _after_ the OS is installed and before OOBE is run.

Also, I'd check the file before you make statements. You may be wrong :3

To be Honest, I do not understand that you are trying to tell me.

I was talking about the "EncryptedAdminPassword" function.

As I do not want, that someone who has access to my install disc has also access to my PC I cannot have an unencryptet PW on my CD. So I do not have the option to override the Winnt.sif during the installation process, do I?

with best regards

p90

Upon some basic exploration, i cant find anything to set that. I've even tried making nLite do it with an addon, and it still doesnt like me.

The only suggestion i can make is to make whatever changes you want to make, then edit the file by hand setting "EncryptedAdminPassword" to "yes" then running nLite again with the only option being "Burn/Create ISO" -- this wont touch your WINNT.SIF file because only the "Unattended" page does that.

After that i cant help

And please, pardon for the rudeness earlier

Hi,

looks like the only option to me too. Well, I will manually add it then.

Thank you very much!

with best regards

p90

PS: Well, if you were rude or not, well I do not care ^^

My english is not so well that I would have noticed it anyways plus my question wasn't so easy to understand as well for the same reason. So, wayne? ^^