Dead Computer

Evanhoe

Hi All,

Now I really have doozy of a computer problem! Yesterday I was in hurry,and because I could'nt shut down the computer the regular way with my Mouse etc..I just cut the power off.Now I've done this once before without any ill effects.This morning when I pressed the power button,the computer seemed to be booting normally,but within seconds,the Screen remained black,and some kind of short gibirish message that I can't make out started repeating itself over and over!

I proceeded to check connections and Sound Card seating properly etc..I disconnected the Hard Drive,but I still got thar eary message.Of course if I unplug the Speaker wire to the Sound Card it stops.I'm wondering whether the Mainboard is screwed up or whatever else?

Can anyone help me out with this problem? Thank you .

The installed Computer OS is,Windows XP Pro.

VAN

The first thing I'd try would be resetting CMOS. There should be a pair of pins that when shorted out can reset it. Have a look in your manual (if you can) or look on the board, its usually near the the battery. Try reseating cards and stuff (as it sounds like you have).

some kind of short gibirish message that I can't make out started repeating itself over and over!

Some motherboard have a vocal diagnostic, check for that message in the manual, it will tell you much more than any reply here.

The first thing I'd try would be resetting CMOS. There should be a pair of pins that when shorted out can reset it. Have a look in your manual (if you can) or look on the board, its usually near the the battery. Try reseating cards and stuff (as it sounds like you have).

Thanks JedMeister,

I"ll give your suggestions a try and report back.

some kind of short gibirish message that I can't make out started repeating itself over and over!

Some motherboard have a vocal diagnostic, check for that message in the manual, it will tell you much more than any reply here.

Thanks Ponch,

I checked the Manual,and there does not appear to be such a ''Vocal Diagnostic'' tool.I'll keep looking though.

• 3 weeks later...

Try booting into safe mode, then make the system do a scan disk (chkdisk). That might be all that is needed.

If that still does not work, put your xp cd into your drive, power on the pc, press "delete" (typically) to entor your bios, set the sytem to boot from CD befor HDD. Try to do a repair, may even have to fix the boot record with "fixmbr"

Edited by Mt.Dew