Problem with Window Update

Sysdll

I searched for solution to this problem I’m having with Windows Update and haven’t found anything so I thought I’d ask here.

When I go to Windows Update the Windows Vista update page comes up and I can’t get any farther. This only happens on one of the XP computers on my network.

Anyone know how I can get to the Windows XP update page?

I have no real idea but the first thing I would try is cleaning all your internet cache and cookies (CCleaner is good) and retry. Perhaps download the latest version of Win/MS Update from the Windows download site and try reinstalling.

Thanks for the tips. They didn’t work but I’m sure I’ll need them sometime.

Here’s the page that constantly comes up

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us Like all Windows update pages it only works in IE.

I can work around the problem by using automatic update or by downloading the updates on another computer on the network. Still I’d like to solve this.

Edited by Sysdll

You can try registering Windows Upate (which exact files I do not remember nor have the information at this time).

Also reinstalling DirectX may solve the problem (not sure why this should work, but in the past it has; EDIT: I have never tried on Windows Vista).

Edited by Ascii2

So here's the solution in case anyone else has this problem.

The problem seems to be that Windows Update thinks I have Vista when I have XP. I found a page at the Microsoft Developer Network for changing user-agent strings in the registry. I changed NT6.0 to NT5.1 and Windows Update is working correctly.

Edited by Sysdll

So here's the solution in case anyone else has this problem.

The problem seems to be that Windows Update thinks I have Vista when I have XP. I found a page at the Microsoft Developer Network for changing user-agent strings in the registry. I changed NT6.0 to NT5.1 and Windows Update is working correctly.

I have the same problem (If you wasn't getting the info bar to install the ActiveX control ). Could you please give me some detailed instructions how to achieve the above.

May thanks

Edited by Zambo